Jul 31, 2013
NW Louisiana
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
As I type, my water is being completely drained from the pool and I thought about cleaning the ladder without removing it from the decking (concrete). It only has some mild rust (right above the water line) and I will not recirculate the cleaning agents thru the pump.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

If it's pretty light rust, I have used a little WD-40 and some reasonably fine steel wool with good results. If it's pretty deep, I am not sure what to suggest to take it off and keep it off. Others will have a batter take on that.

I have a recipe for removing rust from chrome bumpers that works great. Since I have a swim-out and steps my pool has no ladders, so I haven't tried it on one. I did clean up the corrosion on the trim ring on my light this way. Anyway, try dipping a wad of aluminum foil in a small cup or bowl filled with DietCoke. I've had amazing results with this on bumpers/trim. It's something about the phosphoric acid in the Coke. Diet is better because the sugar in regular gets sticky.

It's not recommended to use steel wool on stainless steel. The scratching and embedding of iron particles from the steel wool will make the rusting problem return to a greater degree than it was initially. Here's a link with a description of the issue and recommendations for removing rust from stainless steel. You can find many more references to the same by goggling "embedded iron in stainless steel". Steel wool is made from a very low carbon steel that is substantially iron.

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=55

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.