auto top up - water source

kooma

Sep 14, 2012
Hello all,
Wondering if someone would advise on water source for our auto pool water top up. We live in an area where the water is very hard and we need a water softener for all household lines.

For the auto top up, would it be wise to T off after the water softener or before?

We will have an automatic Coverstars cover and it will be close during non use. So I'm hoping the need to top up due to evaporation is minimal.

If anyone has any knowledge on this front, would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

Generally, it is a great idea to use your water softener for top off (refill) water.

Depending on the iron content and CH of your water, it could helpo you maintain your pool chemistry much more easily.

Can your post CH and Iron content of your fill water before the softener?

Keep in mind that if you use your softener for top off, you might want more softener capacity. If you are maxed out on people in the house, and have very hard water, you may need it, or you may need to regen manually pretty often. Also, if this is the case, you will be ordering or hauling a lot more salt. Your pool size, pool use, and location will also be big factors. Not trying to discourage you from doing it at all, just a friendly reminder as these issues are commonly overlooked. Do post the numbers as Dave requested and we can tell you more.

Good post. In your discussion at MB, I am hoping we can discuss the realistic capability or residential softeners. I am not sure even our experts me included) have a good grasp of that.

Will grab a test kit from here and post numbers. Now that you've confirmed that softened water would be better, I do need to examine the impact to the residential loads needed during the summer.
Is there a calculation to determine avg water evaporation by surface area by temp?
Thanks all!

kooma said:
Will grab a test kit from here and post numbers. Now that you've confirmed that softened water would be better, I do need to examine the impact to the residential loads needed during the summer.
Is there a calculation to determine avg water evaporation by surface area by temp?
Thanks all!
The work is already done. Just Google "pan evaporation data" and you can find it for your area.

duraleigh said:
Good post. In your discussion at MB, I am hoping we can discuss the realistic capability or residential softeners. I am not sure even our experts me included) have a good grasp of that.

Being repetitive, it's one of those "it all depends" situations, but often not too well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.