Need help blowing out lines for closing. Thanks

wmorge

Jun 1, 2013
Terre Haute, Indiana
Hi all! Thanks to TFP and BBB I still have a crystal clear pool after clearing an algae mess. It's been so easy. We are closing the pool now. I am having trouble blowing out my lines with a pancake compressor. We also tried a larger compressor, both fitted into the pump. Now we are using our leaf blower into one of the return lines. Nothing is working.. not a single bubble in the water. We have 3 returns and 1 skimmer. What do you put the multivalve on? We put it on recirculate.

Thank you for your help!

Nita

So you're blowing backward through a return line through the filter and trying to get air out of where? The skimmer line, the pump basket, etc?
Is there a check valve in the return line somwhere?

Are you hearing air coming out anywhere? It has to be coming out somewhere.
Do you have the compressor nozzle sealed against the return so it doesn't blow back?

Having the multiport set to recirc is correct for what you're trying to do.

Filter and pump is emptied. Pool is drained below skimmer, but above the returns. We have 3 returns: 2 on 1 line and 1 on the other. First we tried a small pancake compressor hooked into the pump drain plug. First: We closed one valve. and started our compressor and waited seeing no signs of air bubbles. Second: we borrowed a larger compressor with the same results. Third: we rigged up our leaf blower onto a small flex tube and fed it directly into a line... still no signs of air. We did see some movement in the water so I placed one end of a hose at a return and the other above water to actually be able to see the water come out. We did get some water but not as we expected. With all lines plugged except one, Husband would run the blower at high and low power to get a cup or so out , like small pockets of water blowing out at intervals. After watching our first line do this 5 or 6 spurts.. we plugged that line and went to the other line.. same thing 5 or 6 spurts of water at coming out in intervals. I can imagine the lines holding that much water.. but apparently so.

One of our local pool store charges $95 to blow out lines.. We can go buy a nice 6hp shop vac for that! wow. We will get there.

Hello, you are only an hour or so from my location so I can only assume your water temp is pretty close to mine (70°). If this is the case you might want to check your water periodically over the winter to make sure you don't open to a green mess in the spring (I speak from experience). They suggest you wait till your water is 60° to close.

wmorge said:
Hi all! Thanks to TFP and BBB I still have a crystal clear pool after clearing an algae mess. It's been so easy. We are closing the pool now. I am having trouble blowing out my lines with a pancake compressor. We also tried a larger compressor, both fitted into the pump. Now we are using our leaf blower into one of the return lines. Nothing is working.. not a single bubble in the water. We have 3 returns and 1 skimmer. What do you put the multivalve on? We put it on recirculate.

Thank you for your help!

Nita

I also blow mine out with a pancake compressor attached to the pump. I back wash before the water is lowered. Leave the multi port valve on filter and just turn on the compressor.

The skimmers will bubble first, then the 2 returns then the main drain.

Make sure the air release valve is closed on the bottom of the compressor tank or your compressor won't push air.

Hello, I have an old compressor that I use. It doesn't have enough airflow or pressure to move the water out of the lines by itself. The way I get the pressure and volume to make sure the lines are clear at closing is, after backwashing and cleaning the filter and pump, I put them back together. Then close the valves leading back to the pool and let the pressure build up in the filter itself - have to be careful here and watch the pressure. When the pressure is high enough, I use a little over the normal operating pressure, I set the valves so the line I am going to plug is the only outlet from the filter/pump. I open the valve and get both the needed pressure and volume. It might take a few times of doing this but eventually there will be only a fine mist from the skimmer lines and heater drain lines. For the bottom drain and return lines, since they are still under water, I follow the same procedure but have a plug ready to install while the air is still coming from the lines. For the bottom drain I just use the valve(s) to close off that line while air is coming from the drain.
The control valves that I have will allow me to move the control lever all the way around to block the flow from the filter/pump. I have to loosen the set screw so I can lift the lever over the stop tab. Check the operation of the valves before doing this - DO NOT FORCE the valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.