Variable speed make difference with inline vs offline feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2013
I've had really good luck using tablets and I like the idea of a chlorine feeder.

I'll most likely go with a Pentair Rainbow unit, and I was set to buy the clear 320 inline model, but I've heard at low speeds it doesn't work well. I run my Intelliflo at around 1000-1200rpm, it's around 20k gallons.

Would an off line model be better for me? I was also looking at the 300-29x and the 300 model from Pentair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Variable speed make difference with inline vs offline fe

Jacob,

If you have read much of this forum, you will find there are not too many tab users so you may not get the responses you are expecting.

Go with a liquid injection system. It'll work at any speed you want to run and it has none of the drawbacks of the tablet feeders.

Offline or inline tablet feeders still have to have water forced through them to get the tablets to erode and at low speeds of a VS pump that's going to cause issues.

Continual use of Dichlor/Trichlor pucks will eventually get you into trouble. I would consider another source for chlorine as Bama suggested.

Sigh, I knew I would instead get lectures about BBB which is why I tried to to set that argument aside with "I've had really good luck using tablets."

I've used tricolor tablets for over a decade, and I've yet to ever have to drain my pool. It's crystal clear and tests great, and I'm not going through hundreds of gallons of bleach every year. My father before me never used the BBB method (and still doesn't) yet he also has a crystal clear pool that has never had to be drained. I have never met a pool owner in my life that subscribes to the BBB method, yet for some mysterious reason they all have great looking pools that don't have to be drained. 99% of pool owners don't use the BBB method, yet somehow everyone seems to be enjoying their pools. It's an over the top way to maintain your pool, and it's not for me.

My hobby is not pouring chemicals into my pool. If that's yours, fine, but is really necessary to parrot the hysteria claims of tablets in every thread, even when someone has already told you they prefer tablets?

I refill my feeder once a month and spend more time cleaning out the skimmer than testing the water. I probably spend less time fooling with my pool than you do.

Is it really necessary for you to come here asking about tablet feeders when you already know what we're going to recommend. I'd say you're the person in the wrong place.

Bama Rambler said:
I refill my feeder once a month and spend more time cleaning out the skimmer than testing the water. I probably spend less time fooling with my pool than you do.

Is it really necessary for you to come here asking about tablet feeders when you already know what we're going to recommend. I'd say you're the person in the wrong place.

So the official policy is if you don't use the BBB method, you can't participate in this forum?

jacob_coulter said:
Sigh, I knew I would instead get lectures about BBB which is why I tried to to set that argument aside with "I've had really good luck using tablets."

I've used tricolor tablets for over a decade, and I've yet to ever have to drain my pool. It's crystal clear and tests great, and I'm not going through hundreds of gallons of bleach every year. My father before me never used the BBB method (and still doesn't) yet he also has a crystal clear pool that has never had to be drained. I have never met a pool owner in my life that subscribes to the BBB method, yet for some mysterious reason they all have great looking pools that don't have to be drained. 99% of pool owners don't use the BBB method, yet somehow everyone seems to be enjoying their pools. It's an over the top way to maintain your pool, and it's not for me.

My hobby is not pouring chemicals into my pool. If that's yours, fine, but is really necessary to parrot the hysteria claims of tablets in every thread, even when someone has already told you they prefer tablets?

This could somewhat depend on where you live. If you live in an arid climate you will probably have trouble (eventually) with the tablets and you might want to check the health effects of excessive CYA... plus your PH could end up too low if you don't make periodic adjustments. If you are in a wet area (like i am) and have to drain your pool level a few inches every week (rainy season), you probably can get by much longer with the tablets (like maybe years). My plan is to alternate methods. I'll use bleach and acid when I'm home on a regular basis and use tabs when I have to leave for a couple of weeks. With the help of this forum, I know how to properly test and make adjustments

Back to your original question..... If the tablet feeder moves water at a quicker velocity over the tablets, it makes sense that they would disapate quicker than if the velocity were low. That is just like putting a tablet in the skimmer. Some feeders have a seperate reservoir with the ability to regulate both bypass and thru flow. With a slower speed motor you could adjust as needed.

jacob_coulter said:
[quote="Bama Rambler":2qlwb7v4]I refill my feeder once a month and spend more time cleaning out the skimmer than testing the water. I probably spend less time fooling with my pool than you do.

So the official policy is if you don't use the BBB method, you can't participate in this forum?[/quote:2qlwb7v4]

Absolutely not. Anyone is welcome to participate and you will get answers ... however ... bringing an attitude will quickly result in lowering your likelihood of getting a response and quite possibly you being shown the door ;)

jacob_coulter said:
[quote="Bama Rambler":ue7j2dpi]I refill my feeder once a month and spend more time cleaning out the skimmer than testing the water. I probably spend less time fooling with my pool than you do.

So the official policy is if you don't use the BBB method, you can't participate in this forum?[/quote:ue7j2dpi] Nope, not a policy at all. We're actually not about what you use at all but about knowing what to use and why. And everyone, no matter what you use, is welcome here. I gave you the reason that a tablet feeder, either offline or inline, wouldn't work and gave you an alternative that would. That recommendation really had nothing to do with the tablets. It was all about the feeders.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My two cents...
jacob_coulter said:
So the official policy is if you don't use the BBB method, you can't participate in this forum?
The name notwithstanding, here at tfp, the "BBB method" is really about knowing what the important water chemistry parameters of the pool are (FC, CC, ph, TA, CH, cya) and responding appropriately. It is not about what source of chlorine is used, but in part, it is about how that source may effect the previously mentioned parameters.

With all of that said, it appears that the pucks are working for you...but we would be doing a disservice to the majority of pool maintainers if we didn't highlight the potential problems of that approach. Most pool maintainers would not be/are not as "lucky" as you are with the pucks.

As was written above, with the puck feeders I am aware of, variable flow rates will erode the pucks at different rates...so it has to be "dialed in" by trial and error assuming you use the same flow rate pattern everyday.

Sigh, I knew I would instead get lectures about BBB
You are certainly free to manage your pool as you wish and what you have found successful....If your methods work, they work..don't change a thing......I wouldn't

That's your call and no one on this forum will lose sleep over your decision.

I am puzzled that you understand what we teach and yet complain about (and rudely ridicule) the answers you received when you get them. What were you expecting? Did you expect this forum to heartily endorse the use of pucks when, over time, it remains the number one problem our members have with their pools?

It almost seem to me you were more interested in launching a mini-tirade berating us for what we know and teach. How is that helpful?

What incentive does that give us to help you? I just don't understand your point.

jacob_coulter said:

What is your agenda exactly?

I have no agenda, but I'm asking a question in a forum regarding automation systems, not pool chemistry, and every response was something along the lines of "you shouldn't be using tablets" after I already said I'm a happy tablet user in order to defuse that debate before it started.

Then I get a response from the moderator stating if you're a tablet user, you probably don't belong here. (in a pool automation forum)
Bama Rambler said:

I think some people here prefer BBB because they enjoy the maintenance aspect of pool ownership, it's a hobby, just like some people put a lot of time into their lawn/garden or constantly detail their car. That's fine if that's your passion, but it's not something I get a kick out of, and I think the constant fear mongering about using tablets is over the top. 99.9% of pool owners would be constantly draining their pools if BBB was the only way to keep proper pool chemistry.

I've had helpful advice here, I think most are well meaning, there just needs to be a little more open-mindeness that not everyone eats and sleeps pool maintenance and people have alternative methods that they're happy with.

You are greatly misunderstanding ... using bleach does not equate to more pool maintenance. And the BBB method does not require you to use any specific products. As Dave said, I bet a majority of us spend less time on our pools than you do and we KNOW that our chemistry is balanced.

I also think that you are greatly exaggerating that 99.9% of pool owners have no problems and I can CERTAINLY state that members here spend WAY less $$ maintaining our pools than a majority of pool owners who rely on information/products from local pool stores.

If you are happy with tablets, no one here cares either way. But, you know what we believe and you should have expected some push back based on your questions. Now if you had simply offered some facts (I have a lot of rain, I have a short season, I know my CYA is in range and am happy with the tablets) instead of attacking the methods we teach ... this thread would not have gotten derailed and you would have gotten responses more inline with your actual question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.