How do I know what size pool hose to buy for vaccuums?

Sep 24, 2013
Central Florida
As I mentioned in my prior post I am new to owning a pool. I now realize I don't know what kind of hose to buy for the vacuum. There was nothing left by the prior residents. I watched a few you tube items that indicate to feed it through the water skimmer thing and into the spot where the bucket would be but do I just measure the middle of the pipe to know if I need 1.25 or 1.5?

Its annoying no pool supplies were left at this house at all just the pool itself so am buying things as I find out I need them. Just saw the vacuum and didn't realize I should have one to do on the bottom. With a screened in pool how often should you vacuum?

Also anything else I should thing about buying?

I bought the test kits
I bought the pole.
I bought the net (though thought with the screened in pool I would not use it much)
I bought the scrubber

I am now looking at the hose and a vacuum

Anything more? and to reiterate my question above how do I determine if its 1.25 or 1.5

It's very likely that it's 1½". Or to put it another way. It's highly unlikely that it's 1¼".

However, I'd suggest that you buy a vacuum plate that fits in the skimmer over the basket and use that. It'll have a 1½" vacuum port on it.

I've got a cover over my pool so have learned that I rarely have to do any big vacuuming jobs. Yet now and then need a little worm pick up or light cleanup and recently purchased a "Pool Blaster" rechargeable vacuum that fits on to the telescoping pole and makes for fast clean up. Since you have a bird cage you might not need a lot of vacuum? Worth considering, y'know?

http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?categ ... 7aodcbyavq

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.