Muratic or Hydrochloric Acid

CarlD

Apr 8, 2007
Post split from another thread by SeanB - I think we were starting to confuse what should have been a relatively simple issue.

mcftlf said:
On a side note one of my co-workers who owns a 20000 g IG pool saw me a Lowes buying MA and when he found out what I was buying it for says ..."You Cant put that in your pool!"

Thanks again for all the help...This is almost getting fun! Is that possible?

Isn't it amazing to be able to separate fact from fantasy? Why wouldn't you be able to put Hydrochloric Acid in a pool, where it will release Chlorine ions into your water? Wouldn't 5 seconds of reflection tell you that it's probably the best acid to use in your pool BECAUSE it's hydrochloric acid?

It's like the pool store guy telling me "Oh, you don't want to use bleach--it raises your total dissolved solids!" What is that dissolved solid it's adding? Salt! Sodium Chloride (Hey! More chlorine ions!) And if you use bleach for 5 years in your pool you still won't reach the salt levels needed for .....your salt-water generator! So....fact vs fiction.

Re: Long time reader, first time poster

Isn't it amazing to be able to separate fact from fantasy? Why wouldn't you be able to put Hydrochloric Acid in a pool, where it will release Chlorine ions into your water? Wouldn't 5 seconds of reflection tell you that it's probably the best acid to use in your pool BECAUSE it's hydrochloric acid?

I think he put in muriatic....not hydrochloric.

duraleigh said:

I think he put in muriatic....not hydrochloric.

If I'm not mistaken, muriatic acid is hydrocloric acid.

Yes, but in a different concentration. 31.5% is the muriatic concentration and it's what's generally referred to on the forum for pool use.

(Yes, there are other concentrations but that discussion belongs in the "deep end". We are in "just getting started")

CarlD said:
I'm a newbie here, y'know.
Don't worry about it Carl, Just read the pool school section and you will soon learn that it only takes 5 minuts a day to stay ahead of your water! :-D :-D :-D :-D :twisted:

(One thing I have ALWAYS appreciated about Carl, besides his knowledge of pools, is is sense of humor! :wink: )

waterbear said:
Just read the pool school section and you will soon learn that it only takes 5 minuts a day to stay ahead of your water! :-D :-D :-D :-D :twisted:

Pools are hard work! :whip: I went out to test my water and check the pool last night, and I was out there for 45 minutes. Sure, for 43 minutes I was kicked back in my chair in the poolhouse with a beer listening to music :sleep: , but I was keeping an eye on things, and I had to work pretty hard for 2 minutes testing my water, adding acid and switching my solar panels off BY HAND. :shock: :lol: :lol:

CarlD said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
waterbear said:
Gotta agree with CarlD. Once again he's right on the money, IMHO!

Ditto. I thought maybe I was missing something when he said his advice would be controversial.... :bowdown:

Thanks, guys., I felt funny contradicting FrustratedPoolMom, who wanted the OP to push CYA to 40 at the start.
I'm a newbie here, y'know.

No need, I'm still learning, and everybody has to figure what range works best for their pool, like a curve...hehehe you are absolutely welcome to contradict me anytime..... :mrgreen:

duraleigh said:
Yes, but in a different concentration. 31.5% is the muriatic concentration and it's what's generally referred to on the forum for pool use.

(Yes, there are other concentrations but that discussion belongs in the "deep end". We are in "just getting started")

I guess most people don't realize that "Muriatic" acid is really a version of hydrochloric acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Swimgirl said:
Funny - the local Patio Pools store sells muratic acid! Does that make them wierd? :lol: Or does this mean I maybe can actually trust this store? I sure like the swim shirt I got there!
Just about all pool stores sell muriatic acid. It's a standard pool chemical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.