Pavers or tiles over existing concrete deck

Sep 30, 2013
Hi all,
I have been searching this forum for answers to my question but have been unable to figure one part out.

I have a vinyl lined in-ground pool with a concrete deck around it. The coping on the pool is the half-round plastic type (or maybe powder coated aluminum?). I would like to install some sort of paver stone, thin brick, travertine, or similar on top of the existing pool deck to update the look a bit. This will be a budget DIY project.

My question is regarding the coping. Is there a way to remove the existing coping or does this type that I am referring to play a part in holding up the liner? Or, does anyone know of a product that will fit over and cover up the white coping without being overly bulky on the edge of the pool? I imagine it will look rather cheap/tacky to just see a stone sitting on top of the existing coping.

Thanks for any advice!

Most likely the coping is what the liner is attached too. That being said you probably wouldn't be able to remove the coping without possibly having to replace the liner. To remove the coping will require tearing out the concrete that is poured against the coping.

Ok, here are some photos. They are a little dark since I took them early in the morning, but I think they will work. Not sure whey they are showing up sideways and upside down.

We should have at least another couple of years left in our liner, so if we need to replace it in order to do any work to the coping then we probably will just shelve the entire project.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 217
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 178
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 178
Your pool looks like mine and the liner tucks in under the coping. Here in PA we have a company that is applying a product to concrete called Spadecrete. It looks like a product I saw used in Canada and seems to be a neat idea in changing the look of concrete without adding much thickness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.