Plaster Patch and Repairs

Twoxss

Sep 29, 2013
I have a 21,000 gal pool, built in 1987, I drained and acid wash washed once in 1999 and just drained it again for some surface repairs. I need to make some patches to the plaster, attached are several pics. There are four issues, 1) chunks missing - I have three or four of these spots and was planning on repairing with epoxy or EZ Patch, thoughts on this and if there is a better material. The surface around these is solid and thick 2) I have several Problem Spots that have a slightly different tint and seems to be wearing more and is more porous then the surrounding area 3) there a few areas that it looks like the original coating was thin and is wearing thru - not sure there is a fix for this but wondering if these areas could be skimmed with a product to fill in the thin spots and add some thickness to the overall area. 4) on two small area on the steps there are small stains that I think came from steel wool that fell into that area years ago. I will send pic in seperate post. 5) There is a graying, particularly on the sides which I was planning on doing a light acid wash, maybe 1 to 4 mix to see if that gets this. But not sure if I should do this as I know it wears the surface. See the overall pic in the next post for this issue

Overall the pool surface is solid and has worn very well and i am not looking to resurface. Also not playing for the perfect solution which would likely be to resurface but a good workable solution to extend the life of the surface.

Any thoughts on the above or suggested materials to use would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Attachments

• Chunk missing (Medium).JPG
    Chunk missing (Medium).JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 114
  • prob spots (Medium).JPG
    prob spots (Medium).JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Thin plaster (Medium).JPG
    Thin plaster (Medium).JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 109
Does anyone have any suggestions on what patching material I should use. I am leaning towards EZ Patch. Also are there any recommendations on a bonding agent I might use to insure a good bond between the new patch and old concrete. thanks in advance for any input.

I have used a product from Ardex called Feather Finish. It is the color of concrete so it WILL NOT match up but the bond between it and the old concrete requires no bonding agent and it is immaculately tight. Feathers nicely and dries in about 10-15 minutes so you have to work quickly.

I just don't know if you are willing to accept the poor color match.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.