Filter and Pump Locations

Jul 19, 2013
Runnemede, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I will be having a 21' round pool installed within the next month. One detail I'm trying to figure out is where to put the filter and the pump. I'm building a free standing deck on one side, which is between the house and the pool. On the left and rear there will be 6 feet between the pool and the fence. On the right side, a shed will be 15 feet from the pool. This is where the power will be run from.

So.... where would you put it? Let's see some pictures if you have them!

I wouldn't overlook the shed if you don't mind it in there. You can just bury PVC lines like an inground about a foot down. Adds the requirement to blow them out for winterization, but that's pretty easy.

Otherwise think about ease of access for turning the valve and turning the pump on and off, as well as putting it out of sight and where pump noise is blocked from the deck.

In addition to John's suggestions, if you have a sand or DE filter you will need room to attach a backwash hose and determine where the waste water will be discharged. DE and cartridge filters need enough space to open the filter housing and hose off the grids or cartridge.

Your skimmer and return are usually near the filter and pump, and you want your skimmer opening downwind of the prevailing winds so the debris is blown towards the skimmer.

I placed my pump closer to the garage. Why? Because I didn't want to have to dig an 18" deep trench by hand for the electrical which is situated on the far wall of the garage. I had a lot of work cut out for me to begin with because I had to do most of it by myself as my husband (who's in the pool in the second pic) was in a horrible motorcycle accident in July. It actually haulted us in out tracks and I really didn't think we'd even get the pool up but we did.

I had a long time to think of where I really wanted it because I started planning this pool in March. We had to dig a hillside out for it. It was a HUGE project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.