Humming motor, not impeller. Capacitor?

kblgrl

Jun 23, 2012
Near Chesapeake Bay
So, I have a Hayward Power-flo II, 1-hp pump (sp1780). Its 2 years old. Yesterday it wouldn't start and just hummed. Last year it did the same thing but I found that the impeller was clogged with debris, so I got that cleared up and its been fine since then. But not this time...

I did a lot of research (forums, youtube video, google search, etc) and learned a lot. After several hours of fiddling, I found that I could get it to start by plugging it in and then using a large screw driver to manually turn the shaft, at the back, like a jump start. After that it runs fine but wont restart when stopped.

I cant find out whether this pump motor has a start capacitor or not and where it is located. There is no humpy thing on top so it must be in the back. Does someone know for sure. And do you think I could replace it myself, or have to take it to the shop. I'm moderately handy and willing to try but... I'm just a girl... :thequeen:

Disconnect your power (and double check that it is off!). Remove the back cover of the pump and if there is a capacitor, you should see it there. If you are handy and have a few minor tools, you should be able to change it. Make sketch or some notes on how the wires connect so you put them back the same way. Perhaps take digital photo of the back of the motor to refer to.

Well, I had the back cover off but there is another plate there covering the winding and stuff. It has 4 great big long thru bolts (like 6 or 8 inches long). I loosened those but realized they undo something on the front side. Not sure how to get under the second cover and I dont see anything that looks like a capacitor so far. I guess I was trying to ask if those symptoms are consistent with a bad capacitor and if anyone knew for sure if this model did have a capacitor since apparently some don't.

It does not appear that the power flo II has a start capacitor. There is not one listed on the parts list, and they are either on top of the motor or behind the back cover, which you have removed. Have you taken the impeller off and checked for debris?

zea3: Yes I checked the impeller. I had it all the way out which was cool as it didn't look like I was expecting. I was thinking flat blades. Never-the-less, it is clear.

Smykowski: So I got some silicone spray and sprayed in the general vicinity of the thing with a spring (two of them). Yesterday when the motor stopped it made a loud click. Today it didn't make the loud click but it still doesn't seems to want to start by itself. I still have to give it a spin. I'm not sure I am spraying the correct thing but it does have a spring. You can just see it in the picture thru the top opening. The manual does say that a humming noise is either a clogged impeller or stuck centrifugal switch.

JamesW: Posting a picture of label and back end.

Do I have to take the back cover off further?

Attachments

• P1010831.JPG
    P1010831.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010833.JPG
    P1010833.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 127
That is a split phase motor and doesn't have a capacitor. However, it does have a centrifugal switch and the only way to get to it so you can clean the contacts is to remove the back end. You can also better inspect the springs for proper operation. If the motor starts if you spin the shaft, then that is the likely cause.

When you take the 4 thru bolts off, the front and back may come apart (should come apart), but at least you will be able to inspect that centrifical switch. You will also be able to check the bearings for smoothness and easy turning.

TIP: you should mark the main housing to the end caps so you get them back in the same position. Just paint a dab of nail polish across the seam where the caps joint to the main motor body. Another way is to put a piece of tape across the seam and then slice at the seam with a razor knife. Sometimes tape comes off, so I like to put a small paint mark acroos the seams.

Also, your wiring will pass through the end cap. Just leave it and pull a little through if necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much hoosierrun (and everybody). I might give it a try this weekend or wait till I close the pool which should be in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get a couple more days of use (at least for a quick dunk). If I close the pool first, I can check the centrifugal switch at my leisure in case something goes wrong. You guys are awesome. Thanks again. I will post results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.