Sand Filter Tank Storage Question

Aug 5, 2012
Detroit, MI
Hello, I recently took down my AG pool and am in the process of storing everything based on tips found here, but I couldn't find anything that specifically answers this question... this is my first year using a sand filter (14" Intex).

I live in SE Michigan where we have very cold winters, and I am unsure about my sand filter tank storage...

The tank is still filled with sand, I drained out as much water as I could but I fear there will still be some in the sand and it may freeze if I leave it in the garage. Should I bring it indoors, or will it be OK?

Also, on the very top of the sand, there are lots of dead insects, hair, and just generally gross things the filter has filtered throughout the summer. Should I keep the same sand for next year, or replace some/all of it, or perhaps mix it up some?

Reclutant to take direct action because of the fear of cracking a lateral, but I would like to re-use the sand if I can and I would really prefer to store at least the tank in the garage throughout the winter, but if the water and debris within the sand will freeze-up, I'm thinking that could affect the stability of the tank for next year (if not wreck it completely). I do plan on storing the pump and valve indoors along with any gaskets.

Please advise,

Thanks!

Your filter will be fine in your garage over the winter. Just make sure you remove the drain plug and let it empty all the way. Mine makes it through every year.

As far as the debris, just reach in and grab it out. Your sand will be fine. Many on this site never change their sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.