Pool Dust

keene3b07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
May 9, 2011
I have read a lot of topics on the forum about pool dust and the consensus seems to be that the dust is actually algae. The problem in this pool seems to be exactly the same as the others have described, a brown thin silt evenly spread across the entire pool that dissapears when brushed. When filter vacuuming there is no evidence of anything coming in through the return lines, the pool is clean and then the next day there it is again. The home warranty company replaced the filter (hayward 250lb sand filter), and it hasn't helped at all. On Wedensday i vacuumed the pool as normal but this time i decided after vacuuming to shut the pool off for a couple days, to see what happened. The customer just texted me and said the pool is still clean after 2 days, whereas normally the dust is back the next day. SO i am trying to figure out what this means. I have had some suspicions that the pump was too large for the filter, the pump is a Waterway champion 1hp sf 1.65, with one inch and a half line. Am i right to think that this development confirms that the dust is not algae, or am i missing something? Thanks for the help.

I thought my experiment confirmed that it was coming from the equipment.
FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.4
Alk 90
CYA 50

And it is a fiberglass pool, dont know if that would make a difference

I thought my experiment confirmed that it was coming from the equipment.
Not really. Dead algae will accumulate in more visible "piles" when the water is circulating and settle pretty evenly when it is not.

I think the best way to confirm it is from the equipment is to tie off something to see if you are capturing dirt coming from the return (as posted above).

Have you opened the filter to inspect? Are you rinsing after backwash?

Well it isnt showing up at all with it off, wouldn't it be settling evenly right now with the equipment off?
what do you suggest using to cover the return lines? and yes im rinsing after backwashing, and the filter has been opened and inspected by a couple of different people.
Another thing to note that i dont know if it matters or not, but my Hammerhead vacuum will pick this stuff up, and algae is usually too small for the hammerhead bags. but maybe dead algae is different

Playing the percentages, I still think you are likely dealing with algae.

1. capture some between your finger and thumb....is it gritty? That's dirt.

2. Does it collect directly in front of the returns....suggesting that's the source?

3. Have you performed an OCLT to indicate the presence of organics in the water?

4. Is it black (indicating dirt) or a brownish-greenish-yellowish (indicating algae)?

You'll have to add up all these clues to tell you what you are dealing with. If you tie off a return, many folks have success by removing the eyeball and screwing in a pvc extension with a plain ole' white sock tied around it.

Since you have opened the filter and see nothing unusual and you have backwashed and rinsed, the filter seems an unlikely source. The likely source is algae in your water. Turning the pump off is obviously not a solution since you need to run the pump to manage the pool.

Some thorough detective work may be in order but you can identify the source if you keep experimenting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.