Sand coming out during rinse after backwashing

milcouch

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2013
My pool has been very clear since I switched from Baquacil to Chlorine a couple of weeks ago, until about 3 days ago. All at once my pool got cloudy. My FL, CC, CYA, and PH levels are good. Even though my pressure was only 6, I back washed anyway. On the rinse cycle not the backwash a lot of sand poured out. I do not have sand coming out into the pool while it is on filter. Is my spider gasket in the multi-port valve bad, or is there something else going on? Thanks

You might have a cracked lateral. However, if you do, then there would usually be sand coming from the returns while on normal filter position.

Try putting a knee-hi stocking over each return to see if sand is caught. Turn the pump off and then back on to see if that makes sand come out. If nothing is obvious right away, leave the stocking on the returns for 24 hours to see if any sand is coming out.

If the pump is oversized for the filter, then the sand can be stirred up enough to come out during backwash. This might seem to be from rinse. A little bit of sand coming out during backwash can be normal for an oversized pump, but it should not be a lot.

If it is definitely only coming out during rinse, then it is probably a broken lateral.

The leak on high speed could be a bad multiport gasket, but should not be related to sand being discharged during rinse or filter. Possibly, if the gasket is really bad, it might be related. Due to the leak, it would probably be a good time to disassemble the multiport, clean and lubricate everything, and change any bad gaskets.

How much sand comes out?

A lot of sand comes out on the rinse cycle, not just a little. My FL was 6 and I increased it to 16 for the last few days since I thought it was my water and nothing changed. I just bought the pool, filter, etc. 3 months ago, but I guess the gaskets could be bad. Maybe tomm. I will replace the gasket and go from there.

Do you shut the pump off before you change positions on the valve? Do you depress the handle all the way before changing positions? If not the spider gasket could have prematurely gone bad. The symptoms you are describing are common for a bad spider gasket... And It just tends to get worse as sand gets caught in it.. That being said, It can also exhibit the same symptoms if the sand came first (from a broken lateral). More than likely it is your spider gasket though.

Yes, I shut the pump off and depress the handle all the way before changing positions. I just took the valve off and the spider gasket looks O.K. I did change the sand after converting from Baquacil to Chlorine but was careful when I cleaned it out and replaced the sand. I guess I could have messed something up. I think I will go ahead and change the gasket because it does leak water out when the pump is on high. Is there anyway I could have gotten the valve out of position when I put it back on? It has a notch on it so I can't see how.

FL- 8.5, CC -.5 - 1, TA-100, CH - 1000, CYA - 35. This is why I ask you guys. Looks like the CH is way out of line. I will correct this, change the gasket and go from there. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am draining some water out and while it is on waste out, water is also going through the return. I have not changed the gasket yet, just figured I would start draining while I go up and get the gasket. Even though the gasket looks good, could this also be caused by a bad gasket?

If you are getting water back into the pool when you are in the "waste" position, that is usually a problem with the multi-port valve.

Since you say the gasket looks good, is the spring firmly holding down the lever in each position?

What does your water look like?

You're gonna love this one. I took the valve off and everything looks good, even the gasket. I started going over everything, hoses, etc., and found out when they installed my pool 4 months ago, they hooked the return up to the pump and the pump to the return. That is probably 99% of all of my problems. I have never been able to filter properly. Let me fix this and see where I am at.

Pressure is now 14 on high and 2 or 3 on low. No wonder I could not get more than 5 on high and 0 on low the last 4 months. I had no idea they would screw up the most important thing, but I knew nothing about pools until a few weeks ago. They just kept saying pressure is different in all pools, everything is O.K. I think a thorough A-thrashing is in order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.