First time pool owner

Sep 24, 2013
Santa Rosa, CA
Hello All

Let me start of by setting the stage here, I'm a first time pool owner with a newly resurfaced 13K gal IG fiberglass pool. We are in the process of refilling and I would like to use the BBB method. I'm still reading and learning about the method but its sure seems like the best way to go.

My first question is CYA level... We live in Northern CA and our pool is on the western side of the home with little to no shade so it gets a lot of sun. The guide states 60-80 but what is a good level to start with?

Welcome :-D
Have you obtained a GOOD pool water test kit yet? The TF-100 is my kit of choice. The link to it can be found in my siggy line. Your own testing will always be more reliable than a pool store's. The cost is a pittance compared to the cost of the chemicals people spend on pools if they don't do BBB. I cringe when I see folks leaving the pool store with arm loads of chemicals.

We've had our fiberglass pool for 2 seasons now and have never had algae or any huge problems. Mostly because of the advice folks here gave me when new and asking questions and learning from the "Pool School" articles.

My pool is almost...dare it say it... boring to keep maintained! I've spent so little on chemicals I've been able to splurge on good looking Trex furniture to adorn the pool with and a few other pool toys. :whoot: You will LOVE the BBB method, trust me on that!

I've been reading the suggestions (a great help by the way) and have ordered a TF100 test kit. I ended up using the pool stores initial testing as a baseline. I did find it odd that the instructions from the store print out didn't follow the instructions on the chemical. The print had me adding more chemical then what was recommended by both the calculator and chemical manufacturer. Ill post my test results once my tester arrives.

Pool store baseline (post fill):
FAC: 0
TAC: 0
CH: 60
CYA: 0
TA: 110
ph: 8.0

Thanks,
~Staudie

Excellent! This is one thing we see a lot with pool store advice. Inconsistency from them is very consistent. :mrgreen:

Lets see what you find out once you have some good numbers. Congratulations on taking the first steps to have control of your pool. It gets easier and easier from here on out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.