Rough guess for drain time of a 16x48 Intex with one hose

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Hey everybody. I have to drain a 16x48 Intex pool this weekend, but is there any way to figure out roughly how long it should take to drain the thing? I just have one hose and drain plug thing to put on the hose.

Re: Rough guess for drain time of a 16x48 Intex with one hos

I suspect 2-3X as long as it took to fill it, since you won't have as much pressure leaving as you did coming in..........

If you have been using a vacuum hose, it's fairly straight forward to start a siphon with that, as long as the end outside the pool is lower than the end inside, although the neighbors will look at you funny when they see you sucking / inhaling the end of the hose to get the siphon started :roll:

yeah, i'm just trying to figure out a rough guess of how long, so I know when to start it so I can take it down right away once it's empty

What size is the hose? (e.g. 5/8" or 3/4")

How long is the hose from edge of pool to the end?

Will there be any change in elevation from the pool to the end of the hose?

not sure on the hose size to be honest, I didn't even know hoses came in different sizes haha.
I think the hose is 50ft, and it will go down my driveway, so the end will be slightly lower than the pool.

Assuming a 5/8" hose and 50' long, it would take about 26 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We have the same size pool. I started ours by vacuuming to waste, then back washing and rinsing and then continued to waste until the water was down to the intake port. I started this on a Thursday night around 8pm. The rest was left to the garden hose, about 50' going down a slight hill. By Saturday morning it was empty, aside from the water that was below the drain. I'm not sure when it actually got to empty because I wasn't really watching it. I just wanted it empty by Saturday morning and it was.

Get an empty 1 gallon jug and fill it with the water from the hose when you are draining it. Time how long it takes and multiply by the numbewr of gallons in the pool. For example...assume it takes 1 min to fill the jug from the siphon hose and the pool is 6000 gallons. It would take 6000 min to drain the pool. Divide that by 60 ( min /hr) and that will give you 100 hrs

It's looking like mine, purely based on the hose only, is going to take somewhere in between 2 and 3 days. And of course it rained all day one of the days haha.

last time I had to drain mine (liner replacement) I used my vacuum hose for a siphon hose as well as two garden hoses. 6000 gallon only took about 4-5 hours

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.