Help converting

paulw112

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2013
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

All, help. I'm going thru Bacquacil conversion heck.
I started a month ago, late August. I live in Austin, TX, so based on what I've read that's part of my problem -- I should have waited until it got cooler. Also, I should have gone online sooner instead of depending on the well-meaning yet underinformed dorks at Warehouse Pool.
Anyway, here are the details: 21,000 gallons, in-ground fiberglass. Came home in late August with pool green again and decided to convert. Sick of paying over $50 a week for Bacquacil.
I'm going to go salt water as soon as this is resolved.
Sand filter. About a week and a half into this I changed the sand.
I've dumped just about everything under the sun into this pool over the past month and it's green. Every time I shock it, with chlorine or non-chlorine shock, it turns green. It's green now.
The WH Pool folks say there must be some mineral that their friggin test kit does not detect. Help.
thanks
paulw112

Re: How to convert a Baquacil pool to chlorine

Welcome to TFP, Paul!

If you read the article Jason linked to above, you'll see that you probably jumped the gun with changing your sand. Green water is normal with a conversion, and it will turn green whenever there is chlorine in the pool until the Baquacil is gone. The fastest way to get there is to maintain 15ppm chlorine constantly. The conversion consumes chlorine fairly quickly, so you need to stay father it pretty regularly.

thanks. I did read the article. How important is the test kit? Also, should I keep dumping chlorine shock in to keep the free chlorine level up? And am I hosed as far as my sand or can it recover?

The Recommended Test Kit is absolutely vital to following the process correctly and then maintaining the pool. Being that you are doing a conversion, I highly advise the TF-100 and likely the XL option as you will run out of regent in the K-2006.

Re-read the article and follow it. You may have to replace the sand again if more goo appears in the filter.

jblizzle said:
The Recommended Test Kit is absolutely vital to following the process correctly and then maintaining the pool. Being that you are doing a conversion, I highly advise the TF-100 and likely the XL option as you will run out of regent in the K-2006.

Re-read the article and follow it. You may have to replace the sand again if more goo appears in the filter.

While I am no expert, based on my current experiences, I am emphatically shaking my head in agreement to this..

paulw112 said:
thanks. I did read the article. How important is the test kit? Also, should I keep dumping chlorine shock in to keep the free chlorine level up? And am I hosed as far as my sand or can it recover?
What kind of chlorine are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.