Closing - Main Drain Help

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
Hello, I recently hired someone to close my pool and they did two things differently than my last pool closer. I am still a newbie and plan on doing it myself next year, but want to make sure I do everything right.

1) They didnt take the light out. The pool company that closed my pool last year did. Is this an issue?

2) They did nothing related to the main drain at the bottom of the pool. I remember the prior company doing something, but I dont remember. When I asked them why they did nothing they indicated that they have been doing this for X number of years without pools and never had a problem. Some have indicated that you can blow out the main drain until the air comes out and then "close it" (or something like that). Is this ncessary? I will be attaching photos of the setup. I have just installed a brand new liner so the last thing I want is to have a potential issue with the main drain.

Also, some acorns fell to the bottom of the pool and they didnt pull them out before they closed, should I fish those out?

I typically blow air into the maindrain and trap it with a rubber plug or valve.

depending on the depth of the light I may or may not remove the light for the winter. If the light is very shallow that I feel when the pool freezes it will be in that 5-8" ice formation area I would typically remove the light and either sink it or bring it onto the deck.

Yes the green thing is a valve. (BTW, most of your fittings do not look like schedule 40 PVC. The look like drain fittings that are not designed for pressure).

Light could be cracked if it was in ice, but would be fine if below the ice.

Use a net and pull them out if you have concerns.

I meant they should not be used in your pool plumbing at all if they are not schedule 40 because they have lower pressure ratings (if any at all).

They "may" hold the pressure as pool application are not that high or pressure, but why take that risk?

If they were working for the pool, they should work for the closing, but I would consider replacing them with the appropriate fittings eventually.

Ok cool, totally understand your point there and I am definitely considering replacing the plumbing in future. I guess my main question is whether I actualy need to blow the main drain line. The pool closing guy said that we didnt have to, but hes never closed my pool before. And the last guy who closed my pool blew the line. I just want to understand whether this is a requirement for all inground pools.

If it is a requirement, should I call the company that closed my pool and ask them to come back and do it?

horseradish1 said:
Ok cool, totally understand your point there and I am definitely considering replacing the plumbing in future. I guess my main question is whether I actualy need to blow the main drain line. The pool closing guy said that we didnt have to, but hes never closed my pool before. And the last guy who closed my pool blew the line. I just want to understand whether this is a requirement for all inground pools.

If it is a requirement, should I call the company that closed my pool and ask them to come back and do it?

It's easy to do and should be part of your routine when closing a pool if water can freeze in your area.

I would not take a chance and skimp on blowing out the main drain. Sure it wont freeze at the deep end, but there may still be water in the main drain pipes closer to the surface.

All pool people that charge you for closing your pool should blow all lines if you live in a region of the country that freezes.

So my pool person is not returning my calls... figures... this has been the only constant with these pool companies since I bought the pool. I am definitely going to be rating these companies when I am done with them.

Can anyone please confirm what I have to do to blow the main drain line? I really need help here I just want to move on with this. I posted in my last message what I thought I needed to do. I know there are pool experts out there, help a guy out here.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I assume the 2nd pic is where they disconnected the pump and I also assume the green valve goes to that same main pipe that the pump was hooked up too.

If that's the case you need to force air through that pipe and when your main drain bubbles with air then you need to close that green valve and trap the air which will block the water from comming back into the pipe.

Do you have a compressor or shopvac?

That green valve is closed now. Did they just blow out the skimmer/ returns and then close that valve?

Also it looks to me your main drain and skimmer and returns are all on the same line.

I say that because I see one valve that is a non typical pool valve and it's mounted inline with one pipe.

Most pools have 2 lines comming from the main drain and skimmer and they meet at a junction with a valve. Therefore you can shut one line off. And that's how we close off the main drain.

So in your case you blow the skimmer , returns and main drain all at the same time then turn the green valve to the closed position.

Clear as mud? I hope this helps.

The second pic is a picture of the pipe connected to my SWG that is connected directly to the filter. The pump is lower on the floor. I think they link up at some point, although Im not 100% sure I'd have to go check.

I do have a shopvac.

I just want to make sure Im blowing out the right pipe.

Then what I assumed is wrong then. So it's the same procedure with the pipe that goes to your pump.

If it was me and I only had a shop vac I would pull the pump away from the pipe and attach my shop vac at the pipe. That means your going to have to create a fitting to hook up to the shop vac.

And don't rule out good ole duck tape. I heard of that before.

I use a compressor and attach it to the pump myself.

horseradish1 said:
So the only way to do this is to detach the pump from the pipe? This seems way to complicated. I guess i'll just hire someone else to come out here and do it. FML

If you had a compressor then you could just blow through the pump with 1/4 air fitting.

Since you have a shop vac, you have to get air in the main drain pipe somehow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.