Just filled Swim Spa and first Water test results ???

Sep 1, 2013
Finally got my "new to me" swim spa filled after taking care of a few mechanical issues with the seals. This thing has been sitting empty for about a year since it was taken out of service by the previous owner
I am new to this pool thing and want to use the BBB system... have added some bleach already as it filled.
I picked up a Taylor test kit and here are my first water tests:

FC - 4
CC - .5
ph - 8
TA - 175
CH - 170
CYA - no reading ... dot stayed visible.

So going to the Pool Calculator, I can figure out what I need to add but it seems I should maybe "Shock" it first and try to get rid of the CC ?
Seems like adding all that stuff at once might be to much ...

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Bruce in SB

CC <0.5 is nothing to be worried about. Did you fill it from a municipal water source? If you did it is likely that it is treated with monochloramines which will show up as CC.

I don't see a need to shock it unless it had water trapped in its piping (not fully dry), and even then you can do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to see if something organic is consuming your FC. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Yes... I filled from Municipal water which I know is really hard ... have had a softener for years.
Will put in Bleach to get up to 7 and add Muratic acid to get the ph down and go from there.

Will also do the overnight FC test...

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.