petroleum jelly on pump gaskets?

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
So, looking in the manual about storage of the Krystal Clear 635T, and it said to coat the gaskets in petroleum jelly and store in an airtight plastic bag.

1) Isn't petroleum jelly rough on rubber products?

2) Isn't that going to be nasty getting off the gaskets next season?

3) Would something water-soluble like K-Y jelly be a better substitute?

Like Mark said, use silicone grease (not silicone adhesive) on rubber parts, not all rubber is the same though, most common O-rings are now made from Buna-N rubber, and it is possible, but somewhat unlikely that the O-rings used supplied with your 635T are made of a material that is more resistant like Nitrile, these however cost about 5-10 times the price of more common

Pool stores have it, but around here they sell you a miserable little 2oz. tube for a ridiculous price. I went with this deal on Amazon, which is 2 - 5oz. tubes for $12.48 with free shipping. So compare before you buy.

http://www.amazon.com/PACK-Aladdin-...UTF8&qid=1380327223&sr=8-1&keywords=magiclube

41lNuahmVVL.jpg

Silicone lube is the best solution. Magic Lube II is silicone based lube. Regular Magic Lube is Teflon based. I find that Teflon based lubes tend to gum up and makes things sticky and hard to work with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Grrr. I went to the pool store. The only lube they had was Magic Lube. No "silicone" or "teflon" mentioned anywhere on the ingredients, packaging or the display box. I brought it home to look up what "PTFE" is, and it turns out it's teflon.

Is it really worth the gas and hassle of taking this back and finding silicone-based stuff at the hardware store?

I get my silicon lube at Home Depot in the plumbing Dept. It is sometimes called plumber's grease by those in the trade. It is usually food grade rated since it can be used on the O-rings for water faucets or scuba gear. A small 50 cent piece sized tub should only be $4-$5. Dow Corning also sells a food grade silicon grease in a tube.

Here is one possibility:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/McNett-M-Essent ... 1c35849ded

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.