My closing plan, please review

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
I plan to close sometime late October early November depending on the weather. Amazingly my water is still hitting 78-80 and the kids are still enjoying it!!

here is the plan :
Prior to these steps I will pull filter drain and let water drain from there,. Then ill put filter drain plug back in.
**** Not lowering the water much, just to the bottom of the skimmer.

1. Put multiport on recirculate
2. Install skimmer gizmo with valve to blowout
3. Install plugs into ALL returns except 1.
4. Connect mightyvac to skimmer gizmo
5. Set 3 way valve to block off MD
6. Set valves open for all returns (step jets, deck jets, wall returns)
7. Turn on air, wait for air to start blowing out.
8. Once blowing, screw in screw in plug to the one blowing and open the next one.
9. Repeat 8 until all returns are plugged.
10. Close 2 way valve leading to pump from 3 way which has skimmer and MD (currently MD is blocked). This will block aire from going into the pump and will direct it all to MD.
11. Switch 3 way to allow air to flow into MD.
12. Let MD bubble then close 3 way back to block off MD.
13. Reopen 2 way to pump, set filter on waste and blow until air comes out of waste.
14. Remove plugs from pump and filter, place in pump basket

Im not using antifreeze. All my pipes are 3 feet below ground. The only place where this isnt true is where the come out under a retaining wall to the pump pad. Pump pad is below water level. I have maybe 3 feet of pipe that is only about a foot below ground.

***** ive read about winterizing steps. Should I put milk jugs half full on the steps?

A friend of mine who has a pool company close his, he said they fill 10 milks jugs half full and tie a string on them to tie to something heavy so they dont float away. He said he thought it was so the water didnt freeze solid and crack the steps, sort of like how the gizmo works in the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.