adding chemicals

You should be putting them in front of the return jet ... water going back into the pool. Filter setting does not matter.

To clarify, most are poured in front of the return jet. The recommended pool chemicals article in Pool School explains how to add each chemical.

Sorry I am a tad confused I have 5 return jets in my pool all at the bottom 2 at the deep end 1 on the slope and two in the shallow end, whilst if I use the vacuum port and have the multi valve set to recirculation the chemicals are dissipated more effectively. I am probably missing something basic?????????

The vacuum port is suction which is located at the deep end of the pool about 9 inch below the surface. Their is a main drain located at the bottom in the deep end which is suction and the five returns which are pressure, the pool is a overflow type.

Adding chems thru the suction of the pump isn't recommended. Depending on the chemical it can be very bad for system internals (pump, filter, heater, etc.) in concentrated doses. Since you only have floor returns, I'd pour it over one of them and then brush near it to ensure good mixing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.