el duderino

Jun 15, 2008
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are looking to add an inground gunite to our existing house. We live in NW Austin in the hills and are looking for a few reputable builders to contact. Thus far, my experience has been pretty negative, and I'm only in the pre-sales stage. We've contacted several companies. Most...yes most, have failed to respond completely. Those that have, are pretty slow in response, etc. My fear is what will happen AFTER the contract is signed if it's already like this pre-sale.

Any good recommendations or warning would be much welcomed. I figured getting a start this late in the summer would be an advantage for us, but it's looking like that's not the case.

I'm in Round Rock, and we used Summit pools. They advertise "swim in 29 days". They built our pool November of last year (2007) and did come through in under 30 days (their contract pays you if they don't finish in time - not counting rain days). They did a good job and we are overall happy.

-- Lee

I always ask local industry people I encounter who they would use if they were building a pool. I repeatedly hear that Ocean Quest is a good company. Also, Majestic seems to do a decent job; they built a neighbors pool. I am building my own so I can't recommend any from direct personal experience.

I am just over the Hays County line on relatively flat land (for central Texas). If you are in the hills of NW Austin, I am guessing you have a significant slope in your yard. If so, pick a builder with proven engineering experience in that environment.

Remember your in Texas (a very pro-business state) STAY AWAY FROM THE SMALL BUILDERS - DON'T GIVE ANYBODY MONEY IN ADVANCE

I second the Ocean Quest suggestion, except I will point out that the Ocean Quest in Austin is no longer owned by Lew Akins. Lew now owns Ocean Quest Pools by Lew Akins up in Belton, but I think he does work in your area. He's a very talented builder, especially in hilly areas...although he loses points with me for advertising the Ecosmarte on his website.

I don't know much about the Ocean Quest in Austin.

I am using Cody Pools. We are just in the initial stage of waiting for the permits from the City of Leander and the HOA. I'm going on references as this is my first pool I've put in. Summit seemed to be a pretty good company also.

I appreciate the information so far. Please keep it coming.

Carlos31, I hear what you're saying about the smaller companies. I've talked to a few and while they seem to offer the most bang for your buck, I have fear about dealing with a nightmare like I read about on so many forums.

Also, I was under the impression that Ocean Quest was a "high end" pool builder. To me that says "expensive" and while I do want a top notch pool, I don't want to pay out the nose for it. The prices here in Austin already seem unreasonably high compared to Dallas, where we lived previously.

Summit has been mentioned positively a few times and I did reach out to them to no response. I don't know if the sloped yard scares people away, but I can hardly imagine staying in business in this part of the country if that is the case.

Any additional information...keep it coming! Thanks

I have not used a PB, but I recently had my pool replastered by Centex Plaster in Austin. From discussions with my rep there, Mark Sullivan, I understand that they do a lot of the plaster for the local builders. If I were doing a build in Austin, I would call Centex and see if they could give you some insight on who they are most impressed with. Perhaps more importantly, who to stay away from. They'll probably end up doing the plaster regardless of who you get to build the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.