43" of Rain so far this year in Clearwater

Mar 28, 2012
Tampa Bay, Florida
Lately, I've had to keep a small garden hose connected (from the pump discharge out to the street) and running a few times a week just to lower the pool water. The last couple of days the hose has had to run almost all the time the pump is on. Needless to say, I'm making more chemical adjustments than normal. I can use tabs because my CYA doesn't get above 50. I have to keep adding baking soda because my TA keeps dropping below 60. As you would expect, I periodically need to add acid. At last check, CH was still in the 220 to 240 range.

Some pools have float controls to add water. I need one to discharge water :eek:

I know that will all change in about 6 weeks and we'll be going the other way once the dry seaon sets in. I need to use up that pool bleach before it goes bad! :cool:

hoosierrun said:
As you would expect, I periodically need to add acid.
I would not expect this, if you are using trichlor since it is acidic. Where are you keeping your TA?

hoosierrun said:
I can use tabs because my CYA doesn't get above 50.
Even with 42" over a year, I would expect that your cya will still slowly rise. For example, on a "typical" inground pool with deep end, you would only lower your cya by average of ~0.8 ppm cya per week due to the rain, but would likely be adding at least 12.7 ppm per week cya. Do you have an autofill? Is it possible you have a leak?

linen said:
hoosierrun said:
As you would expect, I periodically need to add acid.
I would not expect this, if you are using trichlor since it is acidic. Where are you keeping your TA?

hoosierrun said:
I can use tabs because my CYA doesn't get above 50.
Even with 42" over a year, I would expect that your cya will still slowly rise. For example, on a "typical" inground pool with deep end, you would only lower your cya by average of ~0.8 ppm cya per week due to the rain, but would likely be adding at least 12.7 ppm per week cya. Do you have an autofill? Is it possible you have a leak?

I should have clarified the situation. We had the pool resurfaced and refilled in late Spring. Even though it is a pebble finish, I suspect it still has acid demand (inspite of using tablets). I have had the TA up to 80-90, but it still drops a bit each week and I'm adding baking soda to bring it up. I thought that might be because I've had to drain so much water off due to the rain

My plan was to use tablets until the CYA was up to about 50-60, and then switch to bleach. I just bought the liquidator (not installed yet) and plenty of pool bleach since it was just on sale for $2.99 per 2-1/2 gal jugs. I really thought by now my CYA levels would be sufficiently high, but I guess with all the draining due to rain, it is taking longer. I really did not want to buy stabilizer, plus I still have about 30-40 3" tablets that I'd like to use (I don't like storing those long term).

I'm also going to have to buy some CYA reagent. Is that stuff fairly stable? I can buy 8 oz a lot cheaper per oz than the ,75 or 1.5 oz bottles, but if the stuff goes bad over time that could be a bad plan.

Right now were doing pretty good keeping things in check. The water is crystal clear and finally starting to cool down to where it gives a nice refreshing 'wake up' feeling instead of feeling like you are walking into a bath tub. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.