Closing Pool In a couple weeks - check my plan please

richardmb01

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have had the pool for one month now and it has been very easy to maintain thanks to this website. When we decided on getting a pool my wife who really wanted it claimed she would take care of everything. Well that did not happen. Instead of doing her own research she felt like letting the pool store do the work for her was a good idea. A couple of weeks before the water was put in I found this website and told her I will take care of it. In those 2 weeks I read everything on this site I could and it slowly started to sink in. When I started I had zero experience regarding pool chemicals and now feel much more confident, still a lot to learn but not overwhelmed.

My current test results are as follows

CL - 4.5
CC 0.5 or less
CH 140
PH - 7.6 adding MA when it gets to 7.8
CYA 60 slowly working up to 70
TA 80 started at 130 and I am almost at my goal of 70

My closing plan is to let the PH rise to 7.8 as from what I have read the rain water in ct will lower this some since I have a mesh cover. Is this accurate?

I have boric acid of 55 lbs to add to the pool but figured I will wait until spring to add.

Turn SWG to 0%

Use bleach to increase CL to 20 about 4 days before and let it drop to about 10.
Add Polyquat 60 24 hours before and leave pump on for 24 hours
Drain water 2-4 inches below skimmer.

The pool builder included a free closing but I want to handle the chemicals myself so I have control over what goes in to the pool, but I will let them come and do the cover, draining, etc. so I can watch and learn for next year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone that makes this forum possible I will be coming a supporter today.

Looks like a plan to me! I wouldn't plan on rain water lowering your PH though, unless you have particular known acid rain problems. Why are you raising your FC to 20 though? It is not SLAM value for your cya level. Does it need Slamming?

I thought raising it was recommended so the chlorine will last closer until the time of opening, and until the water gets really cold ( I am in the Northeast) but maybe I misunderstood. Thanks for the response.

richardmb01 said:
I thought raising it was recommended so the chlorine will last closer until the time of opening, and until the water gets really cold ( I am in the Northeast) but maybe I misunderstood. Thanks for the response.
I am guessing you got the 20 ppm from the poolcalculator recommendations for 70 ppm cya? That will work fine...woody is looking at the Chlorine/cya chart which has the SLAM level of 28 ppm, which is also fine...and a little more aggressive.

linen said:
richardmb01 said:
I am guessing you got the 20 ppm from the poolcalculator recommendations for 70 ppm cya? That will work fine...woody is looking at the Chlorine/cya chart which has the SLAM level of 28 ppm, which is also fine...and a little more aggressive.

exactly. thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.