After testing, what do you do with your reageants?

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
After testing my water everytime, I come to the same stumbling question; what should I now do with this solution I'm holding? With all the warnings on the bottle, I'm not sure what the right thing to do is?

I generally spill it out behind a bench in my yard that has a dry well drain behind it. My neighbor throws it in the grass. Can we dump it back in the pool? I'm sure none of these are the eco friendly method of disposing used regeants.

Anyone got a better method?

Craig...Sounds like you are doing fine. I dump it down the drain if I check inside and run enough water to push it through the sink trap. If outside I just dump it over the fence in the grass and wash out the tester in the pool water. :)

Down the drain is fine. Just don't dump it in the pool. The small amount that you are adding to the wastewater is FAR FAR less than the amount of contaminated water from one load of washing clothes or one shower!

waterbear said:
Down the drain is fine. Just don't dump it in the pool. The small amount that you are adding to the wastewater is FAR FAR less than the amount of contaminated water from one load of washing clothes or one shower!

:shock:

Why not dump it back in the pool? Seems insignificant. Been doing it for a few weeks of testing -oops. What's the down side?

Thanks,

Dan

dfiletti said:
waterbear said:

Why not dump it back in the pool? Seems insignificant. Been doing it for a few weeks of testing -oops. What's the down side?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to TFP! If for no other reason, I don't dump the tests back into the water because of possible interference. (as an experiment you can dump the pH test into a container and then the TA test in too - both tests are ~red as the endpoint, but the water in the container from red + red will = green (the starting point for the TA test))

I just carry a small container (a DE scoop as a matter of fact) and dump the test water into that and find a discrete place to dump it when I'm done. (please note, I'm doing the testing in customers yards and I don't want them to 'freak out' about my dumping chems all over the place 8) )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.