Help with first SLAM

Sep 12, 2013
Orange, TX
Ok, need some advise.

It rained over 5 inches over the weekend at my house. Tested yesterday with my K-2006 kit and got high CC so I started to SLAM.

This morning my FC was 28.5 and CC was 15. Is it possible to have that much CC. Water looks clear and no algae to the naked eye. I added more liquid chlorine to bring FC up to 35 since my CYA is 90.

I guess I just keep FC at SLAM level and keep checking, right?

Just out of curiosity, did you add anything besides liquid bleach? If you used any Monopersulfate "shock" it falsely reads as CC.

There's also a very very very slim chance that the rain washed soil in that contains some bacteria that converts CYA into ammonia, which will create high CC readings and a huge appetite for bleach.

There really is no point to test for CC's once you start the SLAM process. No harm in doing so but no real benefit.

To complete the SLAM, you have to pass OCLT, so when you think you are to that point, just add the CC's test to your AM portion of the OCLT.

kdiamond said:
Ok. I have 2 more questions.

1. With FC in mid 30's during SLAM, is any danger of damaging plaster?

2. After SLAM is complete how do I get the FC lower to normal levels?
1) No.
2) Stop adding bleach and it will go down all by itself in a couple days.

It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, so as soon as FC dips a little, you can use your sparkling pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.