new pool owner

Sep 23, 2013
Hodgdon,Maine
New pool owner. We just installed ourselves,salt water system. We have not added anything to this pool except for the salt.Have run the system for a month. With Maine winter setting in we need to get ready to close it. Water seems to be cloudy i have brushed all sides and bottom,and vacuumed it as well seems to stir up brown cloudy stuff off from bottom next day it is all around the pool again. test results using just a simple 6 way strip for now.
PH 8.0
TA 120
TH 100
CYA 30-50
FC 0
Help,
What do i need to add to it? what products to i use that is safe with salt water systems?

Welcome!

The first thing you need is Chlorine, and a lower pH. We prefer liquid Chlorine (bleach) and Muriatic acid for those adjustments. If you want to control it yourself, the only way is with a good test kit. Please begin with some reading in Pool School. You need to know the basics, and the ABC's is the best place to start.

I don't know much about closing pools as I keep mine open year round, so I will leave that to the experts.

When your pool is running trouble free, the chemicals that you most likely will only need are muriatic acid, CYA, and liquid chlorine once in a while. The muriatic acid will control the pH and TA. You will want to run the CYA at 80 and will most likely only need to be added once a year. The liquid chlorine will only be needed when the chlorine gets low for some reason. You will need a lot of liquid chlorine to SLAM the pool to clear this algae when you decide to do so.

The most important item that you will need is a proper test kit,those test strips are not what you want. I recommend the TF-100 test kit in my signature as it has more of the testing reagents that you will need.

You will need to go through the SLAM process either now or in the spring to clear your pool, see my signature for that also. Read as much as you can in Pool School to get a good understanding of the chemistry we recommend and your pool will be trouble free next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.