Question about lowering the PH and Alkalinity for winter?

May 28, 2012
Need some help with getting the PH and Alkalinity to correct levels before closing. My levels are: FC: 3.06
Cyanurica Acid: 99ppm
PH: 8.15
Alkalinity: 171ppm
Any suggestions on what I can use to lower the PH and Alkalinity to in range levels? Thanks!!

Re: Question about lowering the PH and Alkalinity for winter

I work at a waste water plant for the local town, we also check our pool water from the town pool, so I decided to bring my water in to check it also, we use a Thermo Scientific AQUAfast AQ4000 digital meter. The meter uses the tablet type check system. Drop a tablet in, crush it up and check your sample. Maybe meter is not checking my sample correct?

KB18fan said:
I work at a waste water plant for the local town, we also check our pool water from the town pool, so I decided to bring my water in to check it also, we use a Thermo Scientific AQUAfast AQ4000 digital meter. The meter uses the tablet type check system. Drop a tablet in, crush it up and check your sample. Maybe meter is not checking my sample correct?

That's interesting. What all do you run on the town pool, and what else do you run on this machine for the WW plant just curious?

Nothing on the Waste Water side, we can run Total Chlorine, Free Chlorine, Alkalinity, Cyanurica Acid, & P.H. on the Aquafast machine. Their is a lot of different tests that we could run, if we had the check tablets. We use a HACH Colorimeter to check our Total Chlorine in our Effluent water that we discharge. We still treat our waste water with Chlorine and we use Sulfur Dioxide to take so much of the Chlorine out before it hits the stream we discharge to. If we discharge to much chlorine into the stream, we will end up killing the fish.

OK, I am very familiar with the HACH equipment, just never seen the Aquafast machine. Have you done any reading on pool chems in Pool School, and have you made any adjustments yet? This is really pretty simple stuff and even though you have access to that equipment, I would still recommend one of the test kits here.
I could run everything and more (save Chlorine) by taking a sample to work, but I would rather do it on my patio with a cup of coffee or adult beverage to accompany the testing. :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.