Pool waterfall plumbing

Apr 8, 2013
I am about to start my diy pool. I was planning on building a waterfall in the deep end and wondered how to plumb the inlet. I ahve seen some that have 2 main drains and 2 waterfall inlets as well as others that have one inlet in the wall. Any recommendations? Could I tie into the skimmer suction lines?

High flow waterfalls are generally plumbed separately from the rest of the plumbing so a waterfall pump (low head & high flow) can be used. But make sure you also use large pipes to keep the head loss low and flow rate high.

I would not not tie into the skimmer lines as that would draw in debris into the lines. Instead, wall ports should be used to minimize the about of debris circulated through the waterfall lines.

I have looked at several models but basically just want one about 2-3 ft wide. I saw one that said it was 1gpm per inch wide. It only had 1.5'' plumbing. I attached a pic of something similar to what I am looking for.

Attachments

• waterfall.png
    waterfall.png
    538 bytes · Views: 285
A 3 ft wide waterfall would require only 36 GPM so yes 1.5" would probably probably work ok. But, since the flow rate is so low, you could run that off the main pump if you wanted too but if you do that, then I would up size to 2" pipe to go to and from the equipment pad.

Ideally I would love to run it from the main pump to save money. I have not looked into deck jets but I thought about adding a couple of them too if I can get it all on the main pump I would be happy. I was planning on using 2'' plumbing throughout. Pool will be a free form about 20000 gallons 18x36. Was planning on 2 main drains and 2 skimmers and 4 returns. I have not gotten to exact the layout of all of that yet. This question may be premature but from what I read this seemed like a typical set up. Any idea as to pump or filter size? I Was planning on using a cartridge filter.

Every feature adds flow rate which takes energy to run. If you plan on having the waterfall and deck jets on and you want good skimming action all at the same time, it could mean a big pump ($$$$). When dealing with multiple water features, your best bet might be a VS pump. It takes the guess work out of pump sizing.

I really appreciate the help and deck jets are just something I saw and considered. I see that these vs speed pumps are pricy. I guess you can't go wrong with a vs pump. Do they also come in different sizes?

I think you would be ok with one pump, as long as you put in plenty of valves to direct water flow how you need it. I set my values up so i could pull from MD or Skimmer or both. For returns, i can push back out to steps, walls, deck jets, water fall. I can turn on off any. I do not have the waterfall completed yet, but I stubbed up a 2 inch line for it. When i run the deck jets, I turn off the steps and turn down the wall returns, I get plenty of flow from the deck jets. When i have the waterfall on, I suspect I will turn off deck jets and wall returns and divert most to waterfall.

bottom line, lots of valves for flexibility is key in my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds good to me. We begin sod and tree removal this weekend and excavation shortly after. I will probably post some diagrams of the pool to make sure my plumbing looks correct to everyone soon. Again I really appreciate it. Do you have any experience with that particular pentair pump?

By following the instruction from natural wonders waterfalls i need a separate pump and filter, separate suction with anti vortex cover. What kind of filter and where can i find the suction with anti-vortex cover(could not find anything on the net). I already have a whisperflo 2 HP pump for triple 36"natural wonders waterfalls. The pool i'm building is an inground linerpool 852 ft2 (20 x 40 ft). please advice and thanks !:confused::confused:

Not sure if it is the same for liner pools, but in my gunite build they put the waterfall suction lines right next to the main drain suction lines. Both of the lines fit under each anti-vortex cover. Might be different for a liner, since the pipe might need to seal around each individual suction pipe.

2cdea6t.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.