Dosmatic Chlorinator??

Sep 23, 2013
hi guys, First Post!!

I just purchased a new home with a pool. found this site and decided i would try my hand at maintaining myself before paying the pool guy $150/month. So far this site and the BBB method are great except for the daily bleach additions...

which brings me to my question. Has anyone tried using a dosmatic chemical injector to automate the bleach adding process?

I have used one of these at work to mix bleach and water for equipment sanitation purposes. It worked great, mixed about 2 gallons a day for over a year before having to do any maintenance. I was thinking i would T off the water return line and install one of these guys, i could use a ball valve to control flow into the unit which in turn would control the amount of bleach. Anyway im still getting to know my pool but after i have a good feel for chlorine usage and necessary pump run time i will crunch some numbers to see if one of these guys is a feasible way to automate the chlorinating process.

Any input is appreciated

It looks like it works on the same principal as the Chemilizer motor. If you decide to try one, let us know how it works out.

I like the premise of it but not sure how it will work or how it will stand up in this service.

the Stenner looks like a great option. What i like about the dosmatic is its simplicity. It is driven off the water flow so no extra electrical stuff to deal with (or repair). I know it will handle the bleach fine from my experience at work, We consistantly mixed 2 gallons of 5% bleach a day into water to sanitize equipment. after it was through the break in period and i got the adjustment dialed in i litterally didnt touch it for a year. Sanitation levels were spot on every morning. After a year or so a $5 wearable part went out, replaced in 10 minutes and we were back up. I have since left the department but the same injector has been running strong for about 4 years now.

Again we have only been in the new house for a few weeks so still getting to know the pool. After i see some consistency in how much bleach and pump run time is necessary i will crunch the numbers to see if one of the dosmatic injectors is feasible. Im sure one will work out. I can use a ball valve to control the input and even dilute the bleach going into the injector if necessary, not ideal but still an option.

Ok well it might be a month or two before i attempt automation but ill report back when i do.

Waiting a few months until you learn the personality of your pool is a very good thing. That will give you a handle on how much chlorine the pool uses and how much if any other things you need to regularly adjust.

Bama Rambler said:
Waiting a few months until you learn the personality of your pool is a very good thing. That will give you a handle on how much chlorine the pool uses and how much if any other things you need to regularly adjust.

I completely agree, I have quite a bit of learning and work to do at this point. Automation is a few steps down the road. Currently my pool is green... been SLAMing for 3 days now, but it looks like it is starting to clear so hopefully im over the hill on this algae. I plan on keeping a daily log for at least a month to track chlorine usage so i can get a good idea of what it will take to keep me at a safe chlorine level. This SLAMing process is no fun but a good learning process for me.

well before i started the SLAM i was
FC=13
CC= <.5 (the 5 drops of reagent might have turned it the slightest bit red, not too sure but very minimal)
PH= 7.5
CYA = through the roof... seriously like 250+
Tested both CH and TA both were good, forgot exact numbers.

Not sure on my gallons, its a big goofy shape but all the sides are straight so easy enough to measure. a buddy of mine is a civil engineer he said if i measured he could model it in CAD to get me exact volume. But until then im kind of flying blind on how much chemical to add.

Then i SLAMed, brought FC up to and am trying to hold 45, hope this is high enough given my CYA level???

my first OCLT lost 5PPM FC, thats about 30 hrs after the initial SLAM. Second lost about 3ppm, and i think i am seeing that greyish color so hoping im over the hump. will continue OCLT until i pass.

So ill get it blue again then guess doing a 50%+ drain is inevitable to get the CYA down. The CYA doesnt surprise me the previous owner said "i just keep the chlorine puck dispensor full, and leave it on MAX. Been doin it like this for years and never had a problem" so when i initially tested CYA i knew it was high but saw the black dot dissapear a little bit below the 100 mark so estimated 130 or so and figured FC was good at 15. then we got like 5 inches of rain, pool was full of leaves and FC down to 13. next morning GREEN.

So thats my first few weeks of pool ownership :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your cya is that high, first thing to do is a drain/refill. If you cya is 250, they your FC SLAM level is 100 ppm FC :shock: ...we wouldn't recommend that however...lower your cya first.

Get cya right first, then do the SLAM process.

linen said:
If your cya is that high, first thing to do is a drain/refill. If you cya is 250, they your FC SLAM level is 100 ppm FC :shock: ...we wouldn't recommend that however...lower your cya first.

Get cya right first, then do the SLAM process.

Thanks, Looks like a drain/refill is inevitable then :cry:

Well..... You were absolutely right. I fought the slam process with the 200+ CYA. Constant battle of gaining/loosing ground against the algae. That went on for about 10 days and 30 gallons of bleach. Gave up and pumped out 75% of the water bringing the CYA down to about 60. I say about because that black dot test kind of leaves me guessing. Anyway filled it back up adjusted ph and started slamming 4 days ago, passing everything except the water clarity criteria which at current rate I'm hoping to pass in a day or two. And be back to a TFP

So moral of the story for anyone new like me. Don't try to SLAM with crazy high CYA levels. You will just waste time/money trying to avoid the inevitable....... Just bite the bullet and drain out what you need to get your CYA in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.