Confused on Antifreeze

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So - first year closing the pool, doing it myself as PB is off to other things.

I have been reading and studying, but have a question on AntiFreeze.

Assuming I blow out all my lines properly, then use the "valve" close that particular leg...why and where do I need to pour in antifreeze.

For example....I can essentially bubble each line (both suction and return) on their own....my plan was to blow and then cap the line (under water) then shut off that valve making sure no more water gets in. Seems like there is really no way to add antifreeze.

Or should I blow that line...cap it, leave the valve open, then somehow force antifreeze in that line (if so how much) and then shut the valve.

If I need to provide more info, just yell!

Blow all the water out of the line, then add antifreeze as a backup in case the cap leaks over the winter.

With the skimmer, you can add the antifreeze from either end if you drain below the skimmer.

The returns you blow out with the caps partially in place then snug them down while the blower is running. You add the antifreeze through the line that comes out of the filter. It would be unusual to have a valve there without a spa.

Ok...so I think I am not sure how to get the AF down the return lines.

Meaning I will be blowing UP through my sand filter (on recirc) blow through my HEAT PUMP then a check valve and then finally out to the many returns. How can I PUSH AF up through all that?

On the suction side, I think it will be easier - but not the return side.

I have the same question... not on returns (where the union and plug info above seems fine) but on main drain... If you blow it out and close the valve to air lock it, no way to get AF in there... is it safe to assume that the airlock will keep the water out and low enough that no AF will be needed?

jtech1 said:
I have the same question... not on returns (where the union and plug info above seems fine) but on main drain... If you blow it out and close the valve to air lock it, no way to get AF in there... is it safe to assume that the airlock will keep the water out and low enough that no AF will be needed?

So I am TOLD the main drain is LOW ENOUGH and enough air is in the pipes that it will KEEP the water below the freeze line and no need for AF in the main lines.

I am worried about my OTHER RETURN lines that are for sure above the frost line and NO WAY to get AF in them.

I think most PB do not install unions. You situation is common. So I guess most people do not get antifreeze in their returns. My PB actually recommended against it. I told him I wanted unions on both sides of all pumps. It might make sense to install one on yours. I read here that a curved funnel will do the trick.

jtech1 said:
I think most PB do not install unions. You situation is common. So I guess most people do not get antifreeze in their returns. My PB actually recommended against it. I told him I wanted unions on both sides of all pumps. It might make sense to install one on yours. I read here that a curved funnel will do the trick.

I actually do have unions on my PUMP, but the issue is for the return I have to go through the filter, heat pump, check valve (up hill from the pump) and then back into the returns. NO WAY will you get antifreeze in those lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.