Polaris 280 - High Pitch Noise from cleaner, not pump

jmmodb

Jun 19, 2012
Hello everyone.

My 280 is making a very high pitch noise, coming from the cleaner itself. I searched for "polaris 280 high pitch noise" and found nothing but results on bearings from the pump, but my noise is generating from the cleaner itself, not the pump. It is so loud, you cannot even go underwater when pump is running. Any ideas...

Does it make the noise when the pump is running and the cleaner is out of the water. Had a customer with a 3900 and was having a similar issue, high pitched noise while the sweep was in the water, but not out of the pool. It turned out to be an oring and the repair cost him .64 cents. Pull the blue body off and drain as much water out of the sweep as possible, then with the body off turn the motor for the sweep on, and see if anything looks odd. The oring that went out was on the feed pipe assembly. The feed pipe assembly for the 280 is a k30, that is what your float and tail sweep connect onto. If the filter motor is on and the sweep motor is off does it make the noise?

Had that problem. Nothing mentioned here of any help. In my case, the water mamagement valve in the BOTTOM of the unit was cracked, enabling the noise and vibration.

Giveaway was that the noise disappeared when Polaris was being repositioned and re-appeared when pressure returned to sweeper, so leak had to be internal to sweeper. Noise from sweeper was audible anywhere in line due to harmonic of cracked valve. Just ordered new unit to fix.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.