Question about pump noise and high filter pressure

daronj

Feb 5, 2013
I've been hearing kind of a whining sound coming from my pump motor (Jandy Stealth 1.5hp). Initially, I thought it was the motor bearings beginning to fail. However, my filter pressure (Jandy CV340 cartridge), normally about 10psi is up to about 18psi. I cleaned the cartridges and replaced them, but the pressure is still 18psi. I noticed the pump is much more quiet at 0 pressure while it's priming, then the whining gets louder. Thinking the cartridges may need to be replaced, I removed them from the filter and started the pump. Still at 18psi. I did check the pump with a stethoscope and the motor housing is pretty quiet, however, the pump portion whines loud. I am assuming I have a blockage somewhere and when the pressure gets high, the impeller is making the noise trying to move the water. How can I determine where the problem lies?

Thanks,
Daron

20k gallon gunite pool with a Jandy CV340 cartridge filter, Jandy Stealth 1.5hp single speed pump, T15 Salt Cell, Polaris 280 cleaner with booster pump.

Does the gauge read 0 when the pump is off?
If the gauge is fine, then sounds like you have a blockage (or closed valve) after the filter. Do you have multiple return paths to the pool?

Yes, as soon as I turn the pump off, the gauge reads 0. I have two return paths. One for the 5 pool returns and one that feeds my deck jets. I can't even imagine how they would get blocked. Just had another thought, I guess I need to check my salt cell for restriction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.