Expandable (freeze) plugs vs. threaded plugs

Sep 22, 2013
My return lines on my pool are threaded, however I always have had problems removing the threaded plugs when I open the pool in the spring. In fact, this past spring, when trying to remove the plug from the outlet connector on the side of the pool, the outlet connector loosened instead, causing a leak. Instead, can I use the expandable (freeze) style plugs on these threaded outlet connectors? It seems that these would be easier to remove, and eliminate the problem I had.

Thanks,

Mark

I would say yes, but, you should make sure that the expansion plugs have a smooth inner pipe surface to seal on. This means the plug should be longer than the female threads. If not, expansion plugs won't seal well on threads, and will tend to slowly leak, unless you can get a good seal on the front face, which would require using a plug with a shoulder, and pushing it in as hard as you can while tightening the expansion plug. The trick to making the threaded plugs easier to remove is Teflon thread sealing tape. Wrap clockwise so that it's in the same direction as you turn it to thread it in. Otherwise, it will tend to come off as the plug is turned in, but don't overtighten it, as plastic flows over time and will tend to set in place due.

Use pool grade silicone or Magic Lube on the threaded plugs + get and use the Hayward tool for installing and removing the plugs. Flat plastic blade that fits perfectly in the groves. Tool is like $7.

Threaded in my opinion are better as they will not pop out and they seal well.

Also make sure you have O rings on the plugs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.