What can I do about leafs in Spa

Aug 1, 2013
Hello All,

I have this Spa that overflows into a pool. Every morning before I go to work, I have clean the leaves off of the grating/grill covering the overflow drain (see picture). If I don't, the spa overflows.

[attachment=0:1sgs9r28]Woodberg-OverflowDrain.jpg[/attachment:1sgs9r28]

So far, this is what I can see can be done

1. Clean leaves daily (burdensome)
2. But pool leaf net (I am having trouble finding one for 10 feet round spa. The smallest I can find is 12 feet. They don't look good)
3. Solar powered skimmer (too expensive at more han $400)

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you all

Attachments

• Woodberg-OverflowDrain.jpg
    Woodberg-OverflowDrain.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 77
A diverter that routes water from below the water line up to the overflow (like an S-shape). That way, leaves will remain above the opening of the diverter. The water in the spa will simply rise in the diverter and overflow as needed. Of course, I don't know where you could get something like this.

This overflow grate, it flows into the pool?

Can you just remove the grate and let the leaves go into the pool and pool skimmer?

If not, is the water flowing into the spa coming through a return (I know that's a stupid question, obviously water is flowing into the spa or it wouldn't overflow, just wanted to make sure)? Why not something like a Poolskim

http://www.poolskim.com/description.htm

bpricedo

Right? Would would happen if I just took off the grate. I guess my concern is that the leaves would enentually clog up the overflow line from the spa to the pool. But I don't know, what do you think?

I just looked at your suggestion of poolskim---seems like it might work! I also saw a competitor called Pool Devil. It is cheaper but has many bad reviews regarding poor quality. I went ahead and ordered the poolskim. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for the lead.

Here's the update. Poolskim came and installed. One things I realized is that the return connection where you would connect it is also a whirlpool/spa jet. Does this mean I can't turn on the whirlpool, since one of the jets is covered by poolskim? I turn on the pool motor and can see water flowing throught the pool skim. Nothing really happening. The instructions say to cover up some of the other returns, but if I do that, then I am covering up all the whirlpool jets. Maybe I don't have it installed correctly. I am going to look again and see if I can get it to work. To be continued...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.