white flakey substance in Slat Water pool

Aug 19, 2013
There is a white crystal-like substance on the bottom of the pool near the return outlets. Who can help?
Latest test results fro Leslie's
Free Chlor 8.0
Total Chlor 8.0
Salt 3400
Cyanuric Acid 60
Total Alkalinity 130 (it's taken 6 weeks to get it down from 280 by adding 24oz. of Muriatic Acid daily)
pH 8.0
Acid Demand 2
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates below 100ppb.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Keith

Th

It is likely that your SWG is causing calcium to precipitate out of your water. There are two issues:

1. What is your CH level?
2. You need to get your pH down around 7.4ish and keep it there. You don't want it to get to 8 at any point.

Did you get a test kit yet? :wink: It's much easier to maintain levels with your own kit.

Just cleaned up the substance so I can post a picture in a few days. I've been a pool owner for 6 weeks so I'm not familiar with the terms. I assume the SWG is salt water generator but I don't know what you mean by CH level. I assume it would be chlorine but I gave you that information int he original post. Salt level is in the original post too, 3400. I do have a test kit but don't really trust my ability to use it. I measure the alkalinity daily and it varies between 160 to 180 but haven't been able to get it lower. I simply don't know how to get the pH down!

Here's the link to reducing your TA
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

The flakes are likely to be calcium carbonate. You can confirm by putting a drop of acid on the flakes. If they fizz and bubble, then it's likely to be calcium carbonate.

CH means calcium Hardness.

You're probably going to have to get your TA down to about 60 ppm before the pH stays down at a good level. If you have new plaster and/or heated water, that would make it more difficult to keep the pH down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.