Discovered liner stains while closing pool

MT

Jun 27, 2013
Orange County, NY
Started draining the water below the skimmer and noticed the liner and stairs all around the pool below the water level all tinted a yellowish-orange color. Crushed up some Vitamin C tablets in a sock and wiped the stains and they came away instantly, revealing a pretty big contrast with the clean areas that I never really noticed too much before.

My question is: Do I need to deal with this NOW? I really wanted to get it closed today for the Winter. I already did my partial drain, my chemicals are already in. I'd rather just deal with this in the Spring. Is there a good chance those stains will become permanent if I just let it alone?

Doesn't sound like you suddenly discovered these stains while starting to close if they've been there "most of the season." If it's that easy to take care of it now, why wouldn't you? Stains have a tendency to "set in" over time, especially if undisturbed over the winter and spring. I'd rather open to a worry free, trouble free pool next year.

Yes, probably the smarter thing to do, deal with it before closing. But I tend to go the "do it the hard way" route . And I wasnt very clear. I knew there was some staining earlier this year, but due to the pattern of the liner i did not realize how extensive the staining was until i lowered the water level. And yes it is easy to wipe off from the surface down a foot or two, but wiping the sides lower and bottom of pool is a much more difficult job. It is also my understanding that the staining will just come back unless the metals are truly removed from the water. Long story short, its an old liner that will probably get replaced next year or year after. Falling leaves are getting worse as Fall arrives. so i put on the cover and hope i can deal with it ok next year. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.