Tiny air bubbles after blowing/plugging lines

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I closed my pool yesterday. I have 3 returns and two skimmers that were blown out and plugged flawlessly. However I was unable to get my Polaris line bubble free while the blower was running after I plugged it (I tried 5-6 times using new teflon tape and even some lube on the o-ring, and changed the o-ring). When I turned off the blower, there were no more bubbles coming from that plug. Seems tight so I put the cover on.

Should I be concerned about this?

I can understand the reluctance of weighing in on this concern. However, I called the service dept of my pool company (they do a lot of closings and used to do mine). The head service guy told me not to worry about it. As long as there is no air coming from the plug when the blower is off, I will be all set.

OK, even after hearing that I decided I want to be cautious and add some anti-freeze into the Polaris return line. The only access I seem to have (see picture below) is via the not-so-quick-disconnects. I could snake a hose through that opening and down the return line and use a funnel to pour the anti-freeze in there. However, I have read horror stories about either disconnecting, then re-connecting those fittings.

I am thinking of adding a union piece or something, (excuse the terminology, I am not a plumber :) )that will allow me to put the anti-freeze in. I could use some advice on what to use for a fitting and where to put it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 46
I would be concerned as well.

If it's just for adding antifreze, you could add a "T" with a threaded port that you could remove for adding antifreeze.

I like the idea of adding a threaded tee to add antifreeze to the polaris return.

I need some help though. I never worked with schedule 40 plumbing before. Where is the best place to splice the tee in and how? If I cut the pipe where it is currently joined (spliced) as it heads to the ground, won't there be too much of a gap that the tee will not fill? Would I need to add another splice on one side of the tee? Or is it best just to cut the pvc below the existing splice in the downward run and add the tee there?

Then what about the threaded cap? will it need an o-ring, teflon tape etc?

I'm sure these sound like dumb questions and I'm sure this is an easy job, but I want to make sure I do it correctly, so thanks for being patient with me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.