Same manufacturer, same model number, difference size...

Sep 21, 2013
I have a 40,000 gallon, 20 x 40 inground pool. I am replacing the 1996 model filter and 6 way valve. I ordered the same filter brand, same model number that is listed on the old filter. Could technology have advanced since 1996 to the point where the filter tank is considerably smaller? I am thinking that the older filter was mismarked by the manufacturer. Can I have anyone's opinion on this? It just doesn't look right.

It is a Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter TA/40. I tried to upload the pictures but saying to big. So I will take some again tomorrow in daylight and post it. Thank you for letting me know I needed to post that info. I wasn't thinking.

40,000 gallons, 20 x 40...but steps make it 44. I have taken care of this pool since I was a young child. My grandparent's owned it and I bought the homestead 13 years ago. I had the pool renovated and replaced the sand with Zeobrite and the 6 way valve 13 years ago. Pool was covered and unused for 4 years until we bought property. Never had any trouble with this pool or maintenance since using zeobrite. I replaced (or thought I was replacing) the exact filter unit that was put in in 1996. However, the filter that I just received is much smaller in size than the old filter (which has the manufacturer's label attached and that is what I went by when I ordered it). I will post picture tommorrow. Filteration system also have Hayward 1hp "super pump". No trouble with pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Picture 2 of 1996 Pentair Tagelus label. I've done my research and I am thinking label was clearly mismarked after I received the new replacement Tagelus and seen the size difference. I do not want to install a new filter that will obviously not keep my pool clean. I believe the old one is a 60. Anyone's opinion would be very much appreciated. Thank you. [attachment=0:2wkt7qpr]zpfile003.jpg[/attachment:2wkt7qpr]

Attachments

• zpfile003.jpg
    zpfile003.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 58
Replacing it due to leakage at the top of the filter tank neck....part can not be taken off and replaced. It is permanently attached. Some of the laterals bad, and I needed new spider gasket etc. Old filter started throwing filter media back into the pool. Easier to switch out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.