Liquid Chlorine Banned at Texas Pool Stores?

Jun 14, 2008
Dallas, TX
I called Leslies today to get a price for Liquid Chlorine, and was told the state did not let them sell it.

Does anyone know why? Is there some negative to using liquid chlorine that prompted this ban (assuming it in fact exists...?)

Thanks!

There are parts of the country that do not allow liquid chlorine, don't know if Texas is one of them, just like there are parts of the country that ban chlorine gas for chlorination. This is what happens when politicians legislate about matters they know nothing about. You can still use bleach. If they try and ban that all the housewives and househusbands would be up in arms! :wink:

Home Depot and Lowes sometimes carry the 11% stuff here in Louisiana (where you also can't buy liquid chlorine for pool chlorination). It's labeled for RV use; I assume that's why they can sell it.

newnick said:
A local grocery store has the 5.25% for 1.49 a gal. The 11% I bought today was 3.50 at Lowes. If buying bleach I'd steer clear of clorox, just get the store brand, should be less expensive.

I just priced bleach in Nashua, NH. The local Market Basket supermarket had their own brand of 5.25% at $1.50 / gal. Costco warehouse store had 546 oz (box with 3 jugs) of 6% Chlorox Regular Bleach for $6.59. Naamco Pool Store, sells 5 gal plastic kegs of 12.5% for $13.99. Using a spreadsheet, I figured out the equivalent 5.25% cost per gal of the last two as $1.35 and $1.18.

Even though Naamco had the best price, I didn't want to hassle with decanting the kegs and returning them for the $6 deposit (total $19.99 if you don't return the empty keg). So I bought 6 boxes (18 1.42 gal jugs) from Costco.

I think the Leslies person you spoke to is mistaken. I've bought liquid chlorine at Warehouse pool supply here in houston. Most of the time I get it at Home depot and it's called liquid shock I believe. It has a pic of a pool and clearly states that that's the intended purpose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a sore shoulder so didn't want to carry any large containers. I bought some 6% house brand bleach at Aldi for $0.99 per 96 oz bottle, and some 6% Walmart house brand for $1.18 per 96 oz bottle when I couldn't get to Aldi.

stevenspool said:
I'll have to go look for that 'Liquid Shock' at the home depot. I know if my SO catches me pouring something labelled 'Bleach' in the pool there will be trouble...the picture of the pool on the bottle will give my actions some legitimacy:)

I'll double check the label - I think I have an empty bottle in my trashcan on the patio.

I didn't have any luck finding the liquid shock at Home Depot.

I did find Clorox 6% bleach at the ungodly price of $3.97 for about a gallon and a half.

The best i've come up with is Walmart no-name brand 6% bleach for $2.28 for about a gallon and a third...and I'll have to smuggle that into the pool:)

The Leslie's in Austin does not carry liquid either. Warehouse Pool Supply does, but I find the cheapest is the store brands at the grocery store, Walmat or Costco. They are all 6%.

I would love to find a local supplier of 10% or 12% bleach in carboys as others seem to have elsewhere around the country. I've had no luck here.

KurtV said:
Home Depot and Lowes sometimes carry the 11% stuff here in Louisiana (where you also can't buy liquid chlorine for pool chlorination). It's labeled for RV use; I assume that's why they can sell it.

That's funny. :lol: I haven't tried to find liquid chlorine, except for bleach, here in AZ yet.

stevenspool said:
I didn't have any luck finding the liquid shock at Home Depot.

I did find Clorox 6% bleach at the ungodly price of $3.97 for about a gallon and a half.

The best i've come up with is Walmart no-name brand 6% bleach for $2.28 for about a gallon and a third...and I'll have to smuggle that into the pool:)

Ouch! I've found that Target has their store brand for $2.29 for 182 ounces.

I have called all of the local pool stores in my area with no luck in finding liquid chlorine. I did find a local grocery store with the 6% gallons for .99. I would still like to find the 10-12.5% somewhere locally. I tried the Lowe's here and couldn't find anything except 6%. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section.

I live in McKinney, and the Lowes does sell the liquid shock which I believe is 10% or 11%. However, when I priced it, it was much more expensive than the 6% bleach from Walmart I've been using since last year.

I too went to Lesilies and was told that they do not carry liquid chlorine (although he didn't say anything about it being illegal). Leslies does carry Muriatic Acid though.

And there is nothing wrong with using bleach in your pool.

In case anyones interested, I think i've finally found the budget bleach solution for my local area. Following the suggestion of some folks in other threads I went to Albertsons (not normally my low price supermarket choice...). They have a 96oz 6% bleach brand for 99c (not on special).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.