Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reading the FC and CC tests, light pink?

1. Back To Top    #1

Reading the FC and CC tests, light pink?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, CC really does go to zero. There are a couple of possibilities as to why why yours is never zero. You might not be doing the test quite right, the final drop to clear the pink should bring the sample to completely clear. Sometimes the sample goes to a very light pink that is almost clear and if you miss that drop CC will test as 0.5. Your FC level might be too low. You might be adding something to the water that forms CC, as some sequestrants do. You might have unusually high levels of pollen forming CC. You might have a low level of extremely persistent CC that will only be cleared out by shocking.
    Jason,

I apologize for hijacking...It's so interesting you bring this up because it happened to me...In this case if the sample goes to a very light pink, and you add 1 drop to make it clear, would your CC = .5 or is that considered 0?

Thanks!
    14,000 Gal. IG Plaster
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter W/ 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward Pool Vav Ultra

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No chlorine loss overnight but big loss during the day ?

Even a very faint pink is counted as 0.5, though it is presumably lower than that in reality. The point being that it is not zero, we call it 0.5 to be clear that it is not zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Even a very faint pink is counted as 0.5, though it is presumably lower than that in reality. The point being that it is not zero, we call it 0.5 to be clear that it is not zero.

Very Helpful, thanks a lot!
    14,000 Gal. IG Plaster
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter W/ 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward Pool Vav Ultra

4. Back To Top    #4

I too apologize for jumping in but this is the same question I had. When doing the FC test if I set the sample on my white freezer I sometimes notice a pink tint in the sample which is readily knocked out by one more drop. I'm thinking if I miss it that is when I get the <.5 CCs. Thanks for the post. I'll make sure I get the pink out.
    18X36 IG vinyl 22100 gal. 1.0 HP Hayward Pump w/300# Hayward sand filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Reading the FC and CC tests, light pink?

When doing the FC/CC test, If you put the sample down for a couple of minutes it will turn pink again, that should be ignored. There are cases when it will appear to go clear and then turn pink again within just a second or two as you mix, that counts.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Reading the FC and CC tests, light pink?

The pink tint I'm referring to is within 10 seconds after mixing.

Thanks for the insight on the delay. Something to keep in mind.
    18X36 IG vinyl 22100 gal. 1.0 HP Hayward Pump w/300# Hayward sand filter.