in ground vinyl pool liner

Jul 13, 2013
A POOL LINER was installed in our 16 by 34 pool. It was to be custom made, however, the liner had to be stretched quite a bit to fit. One of the installation crew told us the liner made was to small and than the other member of the crew told us it can be stretched or forced to make fit. We have concerns with this installation. Please help us with information we should obtain from installer and manufacturer.

Well there are several factors to consider....can you answer these questions for me
1) What were the conditions like on installation day? (Cloudy, rainy, cool, warm, sunny, etc...)
2) Is there any flaws you can see now that it is installed? (wrinkles, voids behind the liner, Liner pulling away from fittings or bead receiver, holes, etc...)
3) I'm assuming the company that installed it also did the measuring??
4) Do you know the brand of liner they installed?

the liner was installed on a warm and sunny day, there are several areas where the corro plastic backerboard has overlapped showing humps on the liner wall. Also the manufacture is Hydra. When the liner was delivered, the installation crew boss told us the liner sent was to small for our pool and called Hydra for another liner, however, this was cancelled when the vp of the company came out and told us he will make the liner fit, he said he will "force fit the liner". We are very concerned because the installation company will not warranty their installation. We paid for a custom made liner using the dementions of our pool, not a forced fitted liner.

Here is the entire story. The pool company measured our pool and sent dimensions to Hydra. Hydra made a mistake and sent a liner to big for the pool. Another request was made and Hydra sent a second liner. The installation crew boss told us the second liner sent was very undersized, to small, and he called Hydra to order a third liner. Later that day, the company VP came to our home and he told us he will "stretch and force the liner to fit". My wife and I had concern with this but he assured us his work will be ok. The corro plastic backerboard was examined prior to installation of the liner and found to be in good condition, with taped edges. What we assume is that in his haste to force the liner in place, they must have dislodged the corro plastic. He refused to take responsibility and will not give us any warranty on his work. This VP is also the person who took the measurements of the pool and sent them to Hydra. Is it possible he measured wrong.

It is possible ..... with the liner company we work with you have to sign off on the measurements on a sheet they send your prior to the liner being made and after the inital measurement. That way the liner manufacturer is not liable for a mis-measured pool. Did they come back to check thier measurements? We have mis measured a pool before and in our hast signed off on it....but in a too long not wide enough liner....we installed it and realized our mistake. But we also replaced the liner free of cost with one that fit. I do know that it didn't take very long for that short side to rip when the pool was winterized. I don't know what recourse you have....did you sign a contract?

Yes we signed a contract for a custom liner from Hydra. Also the pool was emptied by pool contractor and was empty for about 3 weeks because of the second liner ordered. Also, there was no Hydra warranty given to us after installation on June 19. I had to call Hydra and received warranty packet on July 8, which specifically states all concerns with installation had to be address to Hydra immediately before installation completed. Had I read this warranty before installation, I never would allow this liner to be installed. I am attempting to contact Hydra. Please provide any information or questions I should be asking Hydra or the installation contractor.

Do you have pics of the buldges?
Questions....
To hydra
1) do you require a sign off sheet be approved prior to the manufacturingbof the liner?
2) tell them the situation about the warranty...see what they can do

And to the installation company....does the contract specify under what conditions they will or will not cover their work? If the liner looks good then I would think as long as it is functional then the only complaint you might have is if that wall is actually damaged.....unless the liner fails within the time covered by the contract. You might also ask hydra about that.

The liner was installed on June 18, 2013 and the installer was not able to provide me with the Hydra 20 yr warranty. I had to call Hydra and received the warrranty on July9, 2013. I specifically states on the warranty, "if the liner appears not to properly fit, Hydra should be contacted immediately. Hydra has denied my request for all communication with the contractor. Had I been given this warranty prior to installation, I would not have this problem. My wife and I are concerned the liner has been stretched beyond limits to fit our pool. The contractor is saying the damaged walls are caused by rain dislodging debris behind the corro plastic backerboard. Whats upsetting to my wife and I, inaddition to the concerns with the liner, is that at the showroom, the 20 year warranty from Hydra explained to us is not the same as the warranty sent. And the fact that we had to call Hydra for this warranty with no information available from any website. We paid and contracted for a custom liner constructed from correct dimensions taken by the contractor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you did receive and excessive amount of rain while the pool was empty, it can push the wall in. Usually this does not happen unless the pool had been left partially drained or empty for some time. But, that being said, it could've happened at some other point in time. Was it like that initially when they pulled the liner out? If the liner has been stretched beyond its limits you will see leaks appear around steps, rips where the liner is too tight, etc...I took a look at the contract and it states that the contractor should call them immediately. It seems that hydra is not responsible but the contractor is.....I would do my best to try and work with them to resolve anything that arises, In a calm and open manner. But, if the liner appears to fit, I don't know that I would do anything. Liners are constructed to give up to 3" in any one way. It would be interesting to see how far off they are....will hydra send you a sign off sheet, or will the contractor provide you with one? That would be proof. I know that GLI requires us to give a measurement sheet to the customer.

hydra nor the contractor never provided the dimensions the contractor took before ordering the liner. Hydra did state in an email to me that the first liner was manufactured wrong by Hydra, however, the second liner sent which was determined at first to be very unsized or small for our pool, neither Hydra nor the Contractor will take responsibility. There was very little rain during this period of time. Also, we did not receive the Hydra warranty until July9, the contractor could not find one for us to read before that and nothing on Hydra's webpage. The impression my wife and I are having, because of the negative responses from the contractor and Hydra, is that our pool was either measured wrong or Hydra made a mistake on the second liner and because of this refused to sent a third liner. We are requesting from Hydra all communications with the contractor in in June and also the dimensions provided by the contractor to Hydra. I will continue after I receive this information.
Lastly, the owner of the pool company came to our home on July 16 and examine the pool and told us he will return in two weeks with a Hydra rep named Chuck, to further examine the pool. Needless to say, they never returned nor returned repeated phone calls and emails.

You are doing everything you can....short of litigation. I would keep trying and keep us updated. I found the contract online....that's funny that they could not.

Today I received a call from the pool contractor. We will be meeting in about 3 weeks with him and a rep from the manufacture Hydra Pool Liner. The pool contactor told me the second liner received was not to small but to large. This is contrary to what my wife I were told. I immediately contacted Hydra an requested they send us the dimensions used for the 1st and 2nd liner. They have refused to do so with no explanation. I forwarded my denied request from Hydra and the contractor to the New York State Attorney General's office for assistance and investigation on this matter. I doubt very much any meeting will take place. I have since contacted several pool contractors in our area and all say the same, what dimensions were used to make the liner and why the dimensions were not given to us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.