New Pool Build - Orlando, FL - Completed!

liquix

Jan 29, 2013
Orlando, FL
Now it's my turn!

Pool Builder: Atlas Pools

Specs:
Custom Freeform Pool
17 x 29 ft
Depth 3-5 ft
85 ft perimeter
Approx 13,930 gallons

6.8 x 6.8 Spa w/ stacked stone around Spa

Flagstone Coping

AquaPearl Mini Gray Harbor Finish
12" Raised deck area
4 bar stools
Rock grotto waterfall

1025 sqft brick paver decking
Screen Enclosure

Pentair VS 3050 Pool Pump
Pentair WhisperFlow for Water Features
Pentair Intelliclor 40
Pentair EasyTouch 8 w/ ScreenLogic2
Pentair Clean & Clear filter
Pentair MasterTemp 400

Pentair Laminars (2)
Pentair Color LED Bubbler (1)
Pentair Color LED Pool Light (1)

Beach Ball (1)

Digging started yesterday and steel going in today. Will take some pics in a few hours.

Pool3_zpsea7dd768.jpg

Pool1_zps087b7926.jpg

Pool2_zps8ade99ce.jpg

What the waterfall feature should look like
Grotto_zps2a596972.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New Pool Build - Orlando, FL (Updated 9/24/13)

Welcome to tfp, liquix :wave:

[s:9vb9fkyc]For your 24000 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum cartridge filter of 354 sq. ft. I am fairly certain the largest "clean and clear" is only 200 sq. ft. However, the "clean and clear plus" model has filters as large as 520 sq. ft.[/s:9vb9fkyc]linen edit: Turns out liquix's pool is ~14000 gallons...see details below

Also, I might consider stepping up to the IC60 at this point. Our recommendation is to size the swg 1.5-3 times the pool size, and if it was my new build I would rather be closer to 3.

I would skip the beach ball, they tend to add too much fun :twisted:

That looks like a beautiful area behind the pool! Any chance you might have gators as visitors :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, liquix :wave:

For your 24000 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum cartridge filter of 354 sq. ft. I am fairly certain the largest "clean and clear" is only 200 sq. ft. However, the "clean and clear plus" model has filters as large as 520 sq. ft.

Also, I might consider stepping up to the IC60 at this point. Our recommendation is to size the swg 1.5-3 times the pool size, and if it was my new build I would rather be closer to 3.

I would skip the beach ball, they tend to add too much fun :twisted:

That looks like a beautiful area behind the pool! Any chance you might have gators as visitors :shock:

Very good suggestions, going to call the PB now to upgrade both.

We just built the house and moved so we haven't seen any gators... yet. You never know around here though :|

On the grotto - I had them add a little shelf inside so a drink could be set down. Depends how the grotto is formed/faced on the inside but it was easy for them to add.

On the gallons of the pool - circa 24,000 doesn't seem right to me. Is that a typo and it should actually be nearly 14,000 gallons (even if it was rectangular at 29x17x4' (I assumed middle depth) it would be closer to 14,000 gallons).
I make this observation as linens comments are in relation to the gallon amount.

cbink said:
On the grotto - I had them add a little shelf inside so a drink could be set down. Depends how the grotto is formed/faced on the inside but it was easy for them to add.

On the gallons of the pool - circa 24,000 doesn't seem right to me. Is that a typo and it should actually be nearly 14,000 gallons (even if it was rectangular at 29x17x4' (I assumed middle depth) it would be closer to 14,000 gallons).
I make this observation as linens comments are in relation to the gallon amount.

Ah, you are right! It's a typo. I meant to put 13,930 gallons. I'll update the post.

Good call on the drink shelf, they are shooting gunite now so I will see if it can be added.

liquix said:
cbink said:
Mine was added after gunite when they faced the grotto with stone.

That's exactly what they told me. I'll tell the stone guy.
Great. The stone they faced the grotto with was like 4-6" thick, so they just left out a piece and faced it with a thinner piece of flagstone and chose a rock with a flat top and set a thin piece of flat flagstone on top of the rock so that it was level and flat.

You can see it in the photo below on the LHS of the grotto - I didn't have them make it very big, but it'll fit a couple of cans or mugs on it.

The gunite looks good. It's crazy the transformation at that stage. I will warn you though, it does slow down during the plumbing/stonework stages...

liquix said:
cbink said:

Ah, you are right! It's a typo. I meant to put 13,930 gallons. I'll update the post.

Good call on the drink shelf, they are shooting gunite now so I will see if it can be added.
Good catch cblink :cheers:

For a 14000 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum 210 sq. ft. cartridge filter, though you really can't go too big with a cartridge filter. Just out of curiousity, why did you choose a cartridge filter?

linen said:

For a 14000 gallon pool, we would recommend a minimum 210 sq. ft. cartridge filter, though you really can't go too big with a cartridge filter. Just out of curiousity, why did you choose a cartridge filter?
I wouldn't normally have noticed except mine started off at 24,000 gallons and is 38'x24' with depths of 3.5'-7' so I figured one of them was out which led to me checking this and my own calcs! I think mine's closer to 26,000 now it's built (I had no accurate way to measure but flow rate and fill time lead me to believe it's about that).

linen said:
liquix said:
cbink said:

This is what the PB chose and usually installs. Is there a better option for my pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.