Winter Cover quesiton

fannd

Sep 19, 2013
I have a 24' AG pool with a deck around half of it, my question is, what is the best way to cover it for winter, like what is the best cover and how to anchor it on the deck side. The winch cable will not fit on the deck side, since there is no room from top of pool cap to deck. I can not figure out how I will even be able to cover it this year. Help appreciated. :roll:

Do you need to cover it? If you don't have a lot of leaves, you close late and open early and you don't have to look at the water, you might get by with no cover at all.

JohnT said:
Do you need to cover it? If you don't have a lot of leaves, you close late and open early and you don't have to look at the water, you might get by with no cover at all.

I have been considering that, I just did not know how much trouble that will be, like keeping the pump running and if we get freezing weather etc.

I don't cover mine, I don't have trees close but have to scoop out a few once a month that blow in from across the road. I close, just don't cover. I close when the water temp is in the 50's and open again after the last good freeze and the water temp has started coming up. I had very light algae this spring that a 2 day slam took care of.

msgtdan said:
I don't cover mine, I don't have trees close but have to scoop out a few once a month that blow in from across the road. I close, just don't cover. I close when the water temp is in the 50's and open again after the last good freeze and the water temp has started coming up. I had very light algae this spring that a 2 day slam took care of.

Do you still run the pump frequently and check the chemicals all winter?

JohnT said:

So if I do not cover it I still need to take the pump inside and lower the water level below returns and blow out the plumbing? And balance the water? Correct?

fannd said:
JohnT said:

So if I do not cover it I still need to take the pump inside and lower the water level below returns and blow out the plumbing? And balance the water? Correct?

Whatever you normally do to winterize, other than the cover.

JohnT said:
fannd said:
JohnT said:

Whatever you normally do to winterize, other than the cover.

This may be a dumb question but if it is uncovered and no water circulating will it not eventually turn green?

I disconnect the hoses, remove plugs in filter and pump, set filter to winterize, drain pool below return. Not in that order and only after the water has cooled below 60 deg. Algae doesn't grow well in the cold, so as long as you open before it warms back up you have very little to no algae growth. I had a little started last spring along the bottom where ground temp was a little warmer, an easy 2 day SLAM and no further problems all summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
msgtdan said:
I disconnect the hoses, remove plugs in filter and pump, set filter to winterize, drain pool below return. Not in that order and only after the water has cooled below 60 deg. Algae doesn't grow well in the cold, so as long as you open before it warms back up you have very little to no algae growth. I had a little started last spring along the bottom where ground temp was a little warmer, an easy 2 day SLAM and no further problems all summer.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. We may just try it this winter without covering. :-D

I have the same question and yes, I need to cover our pool. Hard winters here in Hood River Oregon. Out AG pool is 12x20 and I have only found a 12x24 cover. Will that work? Also pool is up against deck on one side. I have never seen a cover up close and personal so I'm not sure how they are secured to the pool in the first place. I need to get one ordered today if possible. Thanks for your advise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.