Howdy!

freqz

Sep 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hi y'all, I'm Freqz. I live in Longview, TX but am moving to Dallas soon (next month). We closed on our house Monday and I finally had my test kit and some time at the house this morning.

First things first...our pool:
21001271-20_zpsb8bf54d1.jpg

19x34 25000 gal plaster.

Test results:
FC 2.5
CC 0.5
TA 130
CH 450
CYA 70
Ph 8.2

Not awesome but I was expecting worse...POs had TWO tab floaters in there.

Cleaned the baskets and the basket on the sweep. Neglected to get a pressure reading on the filter.

I added two gallons of 8.25% bleach which should bring FC up to 9ish...I didn't have time to stop anywhere that had muratic acid to lower the Ph (WallyWorld only had some powder that I didn't recognize).

Question: I'm only going to be at the house once a week or so for the next month. How often should I have MIL stop by and add a gallon of bleach? Every day? Every other day? My gut says every other day until I can stop back by next week, retest, and adjust from there (MIL is capable of pouring a gallon of bleach in but I don't trust her to run the test kit)

Thanks!

One gallon (not bottle) of 8.25% bleach every other day might not be enough as that is 3.4 ppm FC and your daily chlorine demand might be closer to 2 ppm. Of course, there could be algae growth so the chlorine demand could be even higher until you SLAM the pool. Assuming the pool is in full sun, I'd have the MIL add 1.25 gallons (20 cups) of 8.25% bleach every other day or half that amount every day (if willing). That should tie things over until you are able to SLAM the pool or otherwise get it into shape.

Thanks guys...I'll have her up the dose until I can get back to it next week. Hopefully I can keep this pool from getting too woolly before I move in and can give it the attention it deserves.

Next up sorting out the maze of pipe and valves controlling all of this stuff...

Made it back to the house yesterday. I've had MIL adding two 121 oz jugs of 8.25% every third day...FC was 4.5, CC 0.5...water was crystal clear. If I can keep this schedule up for another 20 days I think I'll be able to at least have it under control by the time we move in.

Welcome to tfp, freqz :wave:

The ph you listed is high. Most kits (which one do you have?) read 8.2 even if it is above that. You should get that down soon using Muriatic acid. Leaving it that high (we don't know how high it really is) can put you at risk for calcium scaling.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
Welcome to tfp, freqz :wave:

The ph you listed is high. Most kits (which one do you have?) read 8.2 even if it is above that. You should get that down soon using Muriatic acid. Leaving it that high (we don't know how high it really is) can put you at risk for calcium scaling.

I have the tf-100... My ph test looks like this

247.jpg

Last week when I tested it looked between 7.8 and 8.2. Dropped muratic acid in per the pool calculator, thanks :).( I ran out of time on my first trip and couldn't get acid...Wally world only had something called Ph Down and I'm not about to go putting something in the pool I don't understand.)

MIL gave the pool another 2 jugs of bleach yesterday...I left her a pretty good stack in the garage. I'll be in town tomorrow through Saturday and I'll actually have a bit of time to mess with it. The packing crew shows up in two weeks. Yikes.

.Wally world only had something called Ph Down and I'm not about to go putting something in the pool I don't understand.
Give yourself a gold star. An important part of the procedures and methods we teach is doing just that.....if your not SURE of the outcome, don't put it in.