Found a leak - easy fix, but it eroded some dirt

TFPJules111

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
Denton, TX
Hi Folks,

Haven't posted in a while, because I haven't had any issues. You all helped me get through my first 6 years of pool ownership - switching from tabs to liquid chlorine, installing a new pump & sand filter and finally installing a SWCG. I hope I can get some input on my latest issue.

Pool drained about 6" overnight - that can't be good...

I did some digging and found the break in the suction line between the skimmer and pump. It will be an easy fix.

[attachment=2:mqp21wnt]3 erosion.JPG[/attachment:mqp21wnt]

BUT... it looks like it washed away a good bit of dirt, or maybe it had been a slow leak for a long time and had been eroding dirt for a while. The pool is probably around 15-20 years old and in need of refinishing (but I'm putting that off as long as I can).

As I was opening up the area around the leak, I moved a few decorative stones and saw the big gap under the pool deck.

[attachment=1:mqp21wnt]5 erosion.JPG[/attachment:mqp21wnt]

The view into the hole

[attachment=0:mqp21wnt]4 erosion.JPG[/attachment:mqp21wnt]

Do I need to backfill this? I don't think it affects the pool structurally, but maybe it does?

If I do need to backfill this, what's the best way?

Attachments

• 3 erosion.JPG
    3 erosion.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 5 erosion.JPG
    5 erosion.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 4 erosion.JPG
    4 erosion.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 73
I think I'd need to dig out a bunch in front of the pool in order to get fill under there. I have a hunch the water ran along the pool shell and washed out a lot of dirt. I was just hoping the answer would be "Nah, don't worry about it"...

I think any backfilling/compacting I did without opening it up would just be on the surface.

Not sure if I'm explaining this well.

If any other pool builders/experts want to chime in, I'm all ears.

I'm not a builder or expert, but the one area under my concrete deck that I dug out and had a similar overhanging layer of concrete is the first area I've noticed has cracked. I poorly backfilled it and didn't make much of an effort to compact it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.