What Size pool cover

Sep 15, 2013
I have drained my pool roughly 24 inches to get a few inches under the skimmer hole. From what I see you want your cover to sag almost straight up and down and rest on the water to avoid excessive weight on the frame. My pool is 18' so I am thinking of going with a 21' cover (actual size is 24') that gives me 4 ft for the sag and leaves a foot of extra cover so secure around the sides. Has anyone else dealt with this...should i go even bigger with a 24' (actual size 27')?

Thanks!

Saleen455 said:
I have a 24ft round above ground pool with a 18" walk-around deck and I use a 28ft (32ft including the 4ft. overlap) Artic Armor fine mesh cover. Gives me about 2' of extra cover that I roll and clip under the top rail/cap.

Saleen-how far down do you drop your water. I am going to order the same cover this week and have a 27' pool with no deck. Was going to order the 28' (32' with 4' allowance) cover but maybe I need to go larger? I love your "roll excess under and clamp" idea! We get a lot of wind and was worried about cover blowing off but clamps may be best bet.

maieranne said:
Saleen455 said:
I have a 24ft round above ground pool with a 18" walk-around deck and I use a 28ft (32ft including the 4ft. overlap) Artic Armor fine mesh cover. Gives me about 2' of extra cover that I roll and clip under the top rail/cap.

Saleen-how far down do you drop your water. I am going to order the same cover this week and have a 27' pool with no deck. Was going to order the 28' (32' with 4' allowance) cover but maybe I need to go larger? I love your "roll excess under and clamp" idea! We get a lot of wind and was worried about cover blowing off but clamps may be best bet.

Here's what I've been doing for the last 8 years. I lower my water down to the return inlet level and I keep the return line unplugged. I then connect a discharge hose to the return inlet so as the rain / snowmelt passes through the mesh winter cover it instantly exits through the discharge hose. I never have to pump water off the cover and the pool Water level never rises above the return inlet. I use 3 Intex River Run II rafts to keep the cover suspended over the water. In 8 years I've never had a cover fall into the pool using this technique. I just roll the cover under the top rail and clamp it with thirty 2" spring clamps and ten 8ft water bags. No need for cables and ratchets. Just the clamps and the water bags. I think with a 27' pool you're probably fine with the 28' cover, but a 30' cover would also work. Good Luck! Rich

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.