In Ground Intex Project - Pump???

Sep 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
Hello, brand new to the forum and really glad one of the members mentioned it in youtube video of his pool mods. I like many have a potential DIY Disaster LOL. I had a 15x42 round frame for years and loved it. best $300-400 plus some pump upgrades ever spent.
But out property has a huge slope from front to back, even though i had what i thought was the most level spot in the yard, we had a bout a 12" dif from the from to the back of the pool, perk: shallow end - deep end! :)

So when a family member offered us their 18X48 we gladly accepted it, knowing that we would at least level the ground before install.
I ended up renting a excavator and dropping it in the ground aprox 3'. it took weeks to get a break in the weather and draining a giant mud pond before we could actually set up the pool. Its is set up with 30# roofing felt double wrapped around it to keep the back fill dirt from encroaching on and deforming the sides of the pool. Worked great!

I dug out an area for the intex pump and salt system, so the pump would be lower than the pool water outlet. i dug the pump hole deeper than needed so i could backfill with rock for drainage and set concrete square stones on top of the rock. set up the pump and salt sys, working great, next project was to build a box around the pump....until a down pour the night before last. i went out in the morning to find i did not have enough drainage to keep the hole from filling up with water submerging the pump and salt sys...partially due to the grade of the properrty and not being finished with the back filling to force water to run off away from the pool.

So now my question is, should i continue to modify the drainage and add a sump pump to keep this area from filling up with water during the many Florida rains and storms, or go with an ingound pool pump that does not rely on gravity feed? any and all suggestion welcome and appreciated.

fyi, the pool outlet is just below ground level now with a protective box surrounding it. I considered that if i retro fitted with pvc i would be able to raise the pump up a few more inches which would help some. Also, love the look of the thru wall skimmer mods and that might let me bring the pump to nearly ground level.

If bama's idea doesn't work, then I would probably go with an above ground pump that is self priming. Some of the above ground pump can do this are the pentair dynamo and the hayward matrix. If you go that route, definitely invest in a 2-speed. The pentair dynamo 3/4 hp 2-speed (model 340203) would be a good choice.

Which intex pump/filter do you have?

I have the size up from what comes with the pool, out and about at the moment and dont know the model #, it uses the B filter. Thank u very much for the pump info. The current pump works great and moves plenty of water, but the gravity thing may be the deciding factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Those intex units are not self-priming, so you will need the pump inlet at least a little below the surface of the water.

Futsmaller said:
The current pump works great and moves plenty of water, but the gravity thing may be the deciding factor
Yeah, the intex 2500 cart moves the water well, but they did not up the filter size when they upped the pump, so it is a very poor filter.

Linen - i believe its the 633 model, it was just a step up from what came with my original 15x42.

Bama - I did some test with shimming the pump to a dif height and marked where was still getting good strong water flow. It appears that i may be about an inch above the outlet, I removed the old base stones and added more rock(old left over lava rock) to get to the new height, and then added additional stones to raise the salt sys to nearly ground level. so far so good just need to add some salt after that last down pour.

So before i started all this today, i stopped by pinch-a-penny, they have the complete skimmer kit (nothing fancy) for $39
I also look at a small inground primer pump and sand filter combo, i could nnot find the HP listed on the motor but the lady thought it was 1/2hp and said that it would work for vacuuming etc... it was a Hayward for just under $300, but a single speed, they said they could get the two speed model. Question, with such a small volume pool, what are your thoughts/reasons behind the 2 speed. I understand it would save a lot of energy cost on larger pools, but i am all ears. I am going to try and attach a few pics of where i am at so far.

The box is for the outlet valve, i will build a similar one for the pump. I should have registered under my organization name. Compound W K-9 Rescue. We purchase the wedding cake style steps from CL for $75 from a fellow that knew we run a rescue, i had not seen them for less than $150 around here. If you happen to know anyone in the Jacksonville FL area with any spare pressure treated lumber, we are converting the back yard into a dog park and need lots of it for decking etc.

Someone already contributed enough slate stone to build a small waterfall for the pool. Any experience with that. I was just going to split off a separate line from the pump to it.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 120
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 124
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 120
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.