HDX Germicidal (8.25%) vs Outdoor Bleach

Jun 14, 2013
Austin, TX
Hi I am traveling and my wife picked up the Outdoor HDX bleach, not the 8.25% Germicidal. Other than being more expensive and weaker :roll: , are there additives that would be a problem? I don't see anything on the MSDS, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

I looked at this HDX Outdoor Bleach MSDS and do not see any additives either. However, note that not all ingredients are required to be listed on the MSDS. For example, look at these two pages from the Clorox web site (scroll towards the bottom of each page below):

Outdoor Bleach
Regular Bleach (what we recommend)
Note the difference in the ingredients. In particular, the Outdoor bleach contains two ingredients that the Regular bleach does not: (1) Cetyl Betaine (a surfactant and thickener) and (2) Sodium Xylene Sulfonate (co-thickener).

Now, if you look at the MSDS for Outdoor and Regular bleach, both list the same ingredients.
So as for what to do with the HDX Outdoor Bleach...To be totally on the safe side, I would either return it or use it for the laundry or other cleaning needs.

I think the HDX outdoor bleach is labeled wrong on the three bottle box. After I had already used 2 quarts, I realized I had the wrong item. Took back and exchanged for another case and was cautious to get the germicidal bleach label on the box. Got home ready to pour in pool and had the outdoor again. Back to home depot, will get 3 separate bottles this time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.