Pump is not pumping. Please help

Sep 15, 2013
Hi Guys,

So I bought a house a month ago and already I am in at the deep end with my pool. I have an inground pool with a Hayward ec75a filter. I returned home today to find my water level below the skimmer. Once I filled it above the skimmer line I turned my pump on to find that it was not pumping. There was water in the basket which drained when I turned the pump on but it was not pumping water from the pool. As soon as I turned the pump off the basket would fill with water again.
I called my pool guy who said it sounds like the filter is clogged. What do you think ? If that is the case can anyone point me in the right direction of the procedure for cleaning a Hayward DE filter ?

As a secondary question can anyone tell me maintanence when I should be backwashing over just pumping and how often I should be doing both and filling the skimmer with DE ? Lot of questions I know :roll:

thank you !!!!!

linen said:
Is the pump above or below the water level? Are you getting any flow out of the returns when the pump is on?

hi,

The pump is above the water level. No flow when the pump is on. If I take the cover off the basket it is full. When I turned the pump on the water drains but the basket stays empty. Once I turn the pump off the water seems to come back into the basket. I assume this is from the line between the basket and filter.

If I have to clean my filter does that mean I need to run DE through the skimmer again ?

So a quick update , if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I would love to be able to save a call out fee and repair.
If I look in the basket and turn the pump on I cannot see any water coming in from the pool. If I put the hose into the basket eventually water comes seeping out of the sides of the filter. I thought my filter was clogged so I took it out and cleaned it.
I am confused on why the water from the hose came out of the sides of the filter but I think my issue is with the line coming into the basket.

Any ideas I would truly appreciate.

thanks !

This all started when the water level got below the skimmer, right?
Did the pump run while the water level was below the skimmer?
Was it working correctly before that?
Is the water level about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer now?
Does the weir work correctly?
Is the skimmer creating a vortex when the pump is running?

Have you checked the pump basket & lid to see if it's warped?
Have you cleaned and lubed the lid o-ring and sealing surfaces?

It sounds like you just need to prime the pump again. Use your garden hose to fill pump while running with the lid off for awhile. Then what I do is put the garden hose in the skimmer and put it up in the skimmer line and run the water full blast. Turn the pump on and wait a few minutes and it should prime by itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.